BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a first in the books as far as I can tell. No......not the speedo failure but the problem causing it. The speedo had begun to work intermittently for the past few months. While it was inop the cruise would also fail to set. About 3 weeks ago it failed completely without coming back to life so I decided to look into the problem.

After reading numerous posts of speedo sensor failure I thought that would be the best place to start. I replaced the sensor and no joy. So it seemed time to get serious and undressed her so I could get at the wiring and start checking for a false connection. I was able to borrow a wiring schematic from a fellow Texican and began the journey tracing the wiring from the sensor all the way to the speedo module. You would not in your wildest dreams imagine where all the wiring goes for the speedometer.

Well after following the wiring top to bottom, no bad connections were located. So I loaded her up and set up an appointment with the dealer for some more diagnostics. After 5.84 hours of the techs beating their heads to figure this one out, seems the speedo circuit board had failed.

New speedo $184.55
labor $496.40

Time to do the speedo mod again! :dance:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Sounds like a first to me..But I've only been around a couple of years..:)

Did you mod the original yourself ??

Just wondering if you got a trace too hot and the connection failed at that point..

Possibly could have fixed yourself if that was the case...Who knows for sure..

Kudos on the good try though...

Take Care,

John

·
Registered
797 Posts
bustedknuckles said:
This is a first in the books as far as I can tell. No......not the speedo failure but the problem causing it. The speedo had begun to work intermittently for the past few months. While it was inop the cruise would also fail to set. About 3 weeks ago it failed completely without coming back to life so I decided to look into the problem.

After reading numerous posts of speedo sensor failure I thought that would be the best place to start. I replaced the sensor and no joy. So it seemed time to get serious and undressed her so I could get at the wiring and start checking for a false connection. I was able to borrow a wiring schematic from a fellow Texican and began the journey tracing the wiring from the sensor all the way to the speedo module. You would not in your wildest dreams imagine where all the wiring goes for the speedometer.

Well after following the wiring top to bottom, no bad connections were located. So I loaded her up and set up an appointment with the dealer for some more diagnostics. After 5.84 hours of the techs beating their heads to figure this one out, seems the speedo circuit board had failed.

New speedo $184.55
labor $496.40

Time to do the speedo mod again! :dance:
Man that is strange. Mine did the same thing and per Mr. Shealy and others instructions - I found the problem exactly where they said it was, fixed it just as they said and have not had any problems with it since. Cost - about $3.00 in materials and half hour of my time - which is about another $3.00.

I have no idea how much money I have saved by reading information on the site.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Hey, at least it wasn't the ABS control unit like they first thought. That would have been expensive!

Does that mean you can go on the summer trip?

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JPSpen said:
Sounds like a first to me..But I've only been around a couple of years..:)

Did you mod the original yourself ??

Just wondering if you got a trace too hot and the connection failed at that point..

Possibly could have fixed yourself if that was the case...Who knows for sure..

Kudos on the good try though...

Take Care,

John
I had done the "speedo mod" myself, but it had been done for 3 years before the problem arose. I have done several others without any problem.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
lnowell said:
Cost - about $3.00 in materials and half hour of my time - which is about another $3.00.
That much for your time eh?! :rotf:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts