BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do the speedo change, things got hot and I moved and pulled the land pattern off. See picture. Can I save the change by going to the chip position? Also what would happen if I left it the way it it now, that is jumper JC only being jumpered?

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
From the picture it seems you have JB jumpered, but JC with the Board trace pulled off.

If you can be more careful with your soldering iron, you can jumper a SMALL wire (26 GA or smaller) between the two solder points where the traces go to the feed throughs. Be REALLY careful and do it quickly so you don't over heat the pin in the feed through at the chip.

Someone with a lot of PC board experience can repair that pretty easily.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David: Thanks for your reply. Took your advise used smaller wire and stayed just a nano second on the point, it looks OK. Now to put it back in and try it.

DON

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
After just doing a speedo mod on a friend's bike, we noticed (after the fact) this note in the BMW manual:

"Note that fasteners are of different lengths and have
different coatings. Make sure they are reinstalled in
their original positions."

This is in reference to the screws that hold the actual gauges in place. They all looked the same to me, but best to be safe and pay attention when removing and reinstalling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts