BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

The speedo on my new to me 1999 K1200 didn't work. So I purchased a 2nd hand dashboard and changed over the speedo's printed circuit board and drive motor (I'm guessing that's what they are called). The unit now works with the odometer still intact.

I had to remove the speed indicator needle from the speedo drive motor. This was replaced.

How do I know what position to put it back so that the indicated speed is accurate? I ended up putting it back in a position where it pushed back against the zero stop.

Is this unit somewhat clever (cleverer than me) and works it out by itself?

The bike is unregistered as I complete repairs so I can't just go for a ride with a GPS.

Thanks for any responses.

Cheers

Mark

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,775 Posts
Stock speedo for that year always reads about 10 fast, so take that into consideration. If you have a smart phone there are Speedo apps you can use to check your speedometer. Also on that circuit board there are two jumpers that, if shorted, usually brought the speedo back correct speed.

Just read you cannot drive it yet. Sounds silly but put it on the center stand and put it in 1st gear. The speedo should read 62 mph when you hit the rev limiter.

• Wow
Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
During the research phase before posting I did see someone had a cure for the inaccuracy of the speedo.
At this stage I'm happy with it being 10 km out. I'm worried it might be 50km out and pretty much useless.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone gets a chance could you let me know what the speedo reads at say 2000rpm in second gear. Sadly a lockdown won't allow me to go for a ride. At least I'll be able to check my work on the centrestand

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts