BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the nose cone off to replace my DDM HID H3 (high beam) and decided to go ahead and do the speedometer correction. Was easier than I thought it would be, and WORKS! You do need a very fine-tipped solder gun (which I don't have)... I had the kid at Radio Shack do the actual soldering - took 3 minutes.

Mine used to be off by at least 10%; now back to within 1% or so (compared to GPS).

Many thanks to Randy for the great article! Want to do this yourself? Click here for instructions.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
At the 24K service I'm gonna do mine! Big problem for me is that the bike speedo reads fast i.e. 30mph = 27mph while my F150 pickup is the opposite! 30 mph indicated = nearly 35mph!

I use the GPS for both!

Loren

·
Registered
577 Posts
Is the same board used for newer models? mine is an 05. Will this adjustment work on all years?????????

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
wa1200lt said:
At the 24K service I'm gonna do mine! Big problem for me is that the bike speedo reads fast i.e. 30mph = 27mph while my F150 pickup is the opposite! 30 mph indicated = nearly 35mph!

I use the GPS for both!

Loren
You must have considerably larger wheels on the truck than it had stock. That is one thing so many people do and not think about the speedo change. There are speedo drive gear conversions available for many cars, don't know about your truck, if it uses a gear drive. Later trucks have a VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) pulse plate which can be changed out for a different one, or some vehicles have a PCM (Pulse Code Module) which can be calibrated. Ask your dealer about your model truck.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
The first time I tried the fix it didn't work for me. Hmmmmm? No one else on the forum had seen this procedure fail. When I went back in to check my soldering, I looked at my PC board and then the HOW picture and realized that my PC board was missing a 0 ohm resister (jumper). So even though I correctly jumpered the correct pads, the fix as stated, won't work if a resister is missing from the jumper area.
Check your board against the photo in the HOW very closely or it could cause you to dive that deep again.
It feels real good to have an accurate speedo even though the GPS is there.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jers99lt said:
The first time I tried the fix it didn't work for me. Hmmmmm? No one else on the forum had seen this procedure fail. When I went back in to check my soldering, I looked at my PC board and then the HOW picture and realized that my PC board was missing a 0 ohm resister (jumper). So even though I correctly jumpered the correct pads, the fix as stated, won't work if a resister is missing from the jumper area.
Check your board against the photo in the HOW very closely or it could cause you to dive that deep again.
It feels real good to have an accurate speedo even though the GPS is there.

HTH,
Jer
Mine is jumpered with wire - essentially the same as a 0 ohm resistor..

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Tobiwan,
The '05 and newer reads about 3-3.5 mph fast(60 showing = 56.5 appx). We need to move the speedo arm down the amount of one dash so it reads 60 at 60. That fix is on here somewhere. Or, remember that 60 is really one dash over 60. 50 is two dashes below 60. Same for all numbers on the speedo.
That is what my GPS and speedo told me.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
what about jumper JA...it says may also remove, or leave in place ?? What effect does jumper JA have ?? I currently have Metz 880 on the front !!

Jim

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Odometer now running BACKWARDS - no good

UPDATE! Hold the thought on how well this works! I ran a short ride last night to verify the accuracy, using comparison to GPS. Looked great.

Today, ran about a 30 mile test.... Odometer running BACKWARDS! WTF??

Don't think I got any wires crossed, and I KNOW the jumpers per the instructions are correct, so I'll have to tear the beast apart and investigate.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
hallzee said:
Mine is jumpered with wire - essentially the same as a 0 ohm resistor..
I'm talking about a factory installed 0 ohm resister that was missing on my PCB.

Jer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts