BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many guys have bothered with the speedometer jumper to adjust for correct speed, vs. guys who just say "to he** with it", and just use GPS as a speedometer?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
hallzee said:
How many guys have bothered with the speedometer jumper to adjust for correct speed, vs. guys who just say "to he** with it", and just use GPS as a speedometer?
Brian,

Some have reported that the "fix" makes the speedo right on with the GPS.
I never got around to doing the jumper fix & rely on the GPS.

Cheers,

·
Registered
348 Posts
Speedo

I did the jumper on my '99 LT, it worked perfectly for speed but did not correct the 3.1% odometer error. Now on my 2000 LT, I installed a Sigma Sport digital (bicycle) unit, it is as accuate as you have time to make it. Mine is within .25% with new tires. If you go this route, be sure and get the "rear wheel" adapter with the necessary longer cable to reach the front wheel of your LT. It's an extra $7 or so and saves you splicing #30 wire!

·
Registered
269 Posts
hallzee said:
I did the speedo mod on my '03 when I did my HID hi/lo install, and it now tracks the GPS dead on. I'm glad I did it, although both before & after, I tend to monitor speed with the GPS more so than the speedo.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I rode "as is" for a year and a half, just using the GPS as the speedo. But then one day in a rainstorm my Streetpilot crapped out. That weekend I tore her apart and did the speedo mod, and now both (with the new GPS) agree. It's a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm not positive that GPS for speed monitoring is correct. I think GPS uses point-to-point ("as the crow flies") to determine mph and therefore wouldn't be effective on winding roads. Would be OK on long straight stretches though. I could be wrong...it did happen a long time ago.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did the fix. My speedo is now spot on with the GPS. For me it is much easier and quicker to check my speed by glancing at the analog speedometer than to try to read the GPS. I think it is pretty much accepted that analog gauges are easier to read and interpret than digital. (Most aircraft gauges are analog, for instance.)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
bikebum said:
(Most aircraft gauges are analog, for instance.)
Hey Jamie, Been in any newer aircraft lately?? Where there are some analog, most everything is moving go digital. Almost all the 757s and 767s I fly on with Delta are all digital.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts