BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm riding the 50 tomorrow, starting on the 70 in Green River, UT across to Reno. What is the official speed limit, what do people usually do and is it policed?

Posted as well on the Rocky Mts site.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
rmg08057 said:
Hey, I'm riding the 50 tomorrow, starting on the 70 in Green River, UT across to Reno. What is the official speed limit, what do people usually do and is it policed?

The speed limit is 65 on the Utah side. I think it is the same in Nevada. I got tagged by a Utah officer about 8 miles east of the Nevada line. He was sneaky, stayed behind an 18-wheeler, out of sight, then popped out just long enough to get my speed. He was nice enough and wrote me for 5 over (70 in a 65) - I was going MUCH faster than that when he nailed me and when he nailed me I was slowing down from going MUCH, MUCH faster. In Nevada, after Ely, I saw a lot more enforcement, but the visibility was good enough that I could keep up a fairly good clip when I didn't see a threat.

·
Registered
859 Posts
rmg08057 said:

Most of US 50 in Nevada (between towns) is posted 70.

·
Old Dawg
3,302 Posts
All this time I thought it was about 120??? :D

·
IBR# 366
16,589 Posts
scottydawg said:
All this time I thought it was about 120??? :D
That's on the LT, Scotty. On the GT, it's closer to 150. :D

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Just be carefull around the sink hole called Delta Utah - the sheriffs there gets a little board. Once your past Delta its wide open, two basic rules to follow. Slow down if another vehicle is coming at you and slow down around the few towns you will come across. On the Nevada side it's rare to come across the Nevada Hwy Patrol but you will come across the local sheriffs. Also once you make it as far west as Fallon, slow down between there and California.

I've been across 50/70 a couple dozen times in the last 6 years and I might have exceeded the speed limit a time or two - never had a problem.

Keep an eye out for deer and Elk.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I rode through there in May and saw no cops, though I know they were there.

I did have a Valentine One on the Wing, and got lasered east of Fallon NAS.

Funny there were no cars, let alone NHP's anywhere around when that happened, so I imagine a Navy jet jockey practicing his target designator on me. :confused:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, made it thru safely. The question was really aimed at determining if it was a 50-55 zone like so many secondary roads back east.

Actually, there was quite a bit of traffic, so slowing for approaching vehicles was not an option. Even though I sat on 80-85 in Nevada (I was travelling in tandem with a car for whom that was fast enough), no one passed me all day. I would have thought with a V1 you could have a lot of fun out there...if you like straights that is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts