BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have decided to change my brake lines myself. Have decided on the Speigler brake lines. Still researching the bleeding process, but want to get the parts I need ordered. Do I need the speed bleeders? Any pointer on what I need for this process? A list on must haves to do the job would be nice.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
You don't really need Speed Bleeders, although they help if you are by yourself. When I last did a brake fluid change I had my lovely assistant (wife) press the brake pedal or level when appropriate, but then again she loves everything about the bike!:D
You can pretty much install then anytime you want.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
+1
I call her Heidi the tool girl..................

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
I have used them before but I really like their Speed Bleeder Bag & Hose ($6.00 on their web site). Hang the bag up in the air and open the bleed port while you pump away. Air bubbles will rise in the hose and you don't need a helper.

You didn't say what year you have as the bleed process varies drastically between the early years (99-03/2001 easier) and the later years (03/2001 -2009 a bit more complicated).

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Take pixs of how the brake line is run along the handle bar.

When i did mine, I had to go back and look at the pix and adjust it a little to get it lined up correctly.

I've had speed bleeders for many years. They make life easier. But you can bleed the brakes lines without them. I can reach to the rear brake and hold down the rear brake pedal at the same time. Same for the front brakes.

My bike is an 00, easy to bleed.

My bike came with "grub" screw. In order to remove then I had to lock vice grips around them.

best from gorham ME
Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts