BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if I have Speed Bleeders installed on my bike? I am preparing to change brake fluid and want to be sure I have the necessary items on hand. TIA,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Boatzo said:
How can I tell if I have Speed Bleeders installed on my bike? I am preparing to change brake fluid and want to be sure I have the necessary items on hand. TIA,
Should look like these . . .
Are you the original owner? If so, they didn't come with the bike.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
Assume you don't and keep the receipt if you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PMitchell said:
Should look like these . . .
Are you the original owner? If so, they didn't come with the bike.

No I am not the original owner and cannot tell if speed bleeders have been installed. I am going to assume that they have not as I believe the PO had the bike serviced at a dealer.

Thanks for the photo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,404 Posts
Boatzo said:
How can I tell if I have Speed Bleeders installed on my bike? I am preparing to change brake fluid and want to be sure I have the necessary items on hand. TIA,

Try this: put a length of clear tubing on one of you brake bleeders; front, right brake caliper would be easy. With the clear tubing on the bleed valve and holding the tube vertically, crack the valve open and squeeze the front brake lever. Watch the level of fluid in the tube. When you release the lever, does the level of fluid in the tube stay the same, or does it go back down some?

Typically, without speed bleeders when you release the brake lever some fluid will be pulled back into the caliper; you would see that as the level dropping in the tube. With speed bleeders no fluid will be drawn back into the caliper and the fluid level in the tube will remain the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Charlie, I'll give that a try.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,921 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Try this: put a length of clear tubing on one of you brake bleeders; front, right brake caliper would be easy.
If his right front is stock it most likely still has the fill adapter on it. You can actually skip the right front if you push back the pistons and flush the left first. There is very little old fluid left to come out the right front. Just what is left in the short hose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jzeiler said:
If his right front is stock it most likely still has the fill adapter on it. You can actually skip the right front if you push back the pistons and flush the left first. There is very little old fluid left to come out the right front. Just what is left in the short hose.
Good tip John, is that the round black plastic thing that looks like a cap? I noticed something that I hadn't seen before and it didn't look like a bleeder nipple. What is its function?
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,921 Posts
It has a grub screw that when removed reveals a place to put a bleeder valve. There is a check ball in there as well. The factory used these to fill the brake system. It can be removed altogether and replaced with a standard 10S bleeder. Just heat it up first to about 100 degrees C to soften the loctite.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks John, as always, "YOU DA MAN". :cool:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top