BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't ride without music so have an Autocom Pro-Rider connected to the radio/CD on my 2005 LT.

When the bike speed increases, the volume also increases in the speakers in my lid. All OK so far.

However, the Autocom unit also has a speed related volume increase and the two together seem to double the volume increase at high speed and reduce it at low speeds so that I am continuously manually adjusting the volume.

Have just noted that the Autocom unit has an option switch wihin the unit to diss the speed related effect.

Has anyone come across this problem before and has anyone tried this?

Thanks
Waz

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have the Autocom Pro AVI Dual on my bike and have the same problem. It is easier to adjust the LT sound system than the Autocom as mine has the little mic that picks up helmet noise and adjusts the volume itself. See if you can find the setting for the radio and cut it off. If it does not work properly you can always cut it back on. (If I could remember how, I would tell you but I CRS.)

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can turn off the auto adjust on the radio. When you get into the bass, treble and fade setting I believe the auto adjust volume is there to be on or off.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have you tried to disable either one or adjust to lower sensitivity?
BMW recommends disabling the "main" radio progressive volume when using Autocom.
I tried both enabled at the same time and it was working OK, however my radio autovolume was set to slow (I think it was a small number on the display, but I'm not sure - check the manual just in case). Adjusting this is very simple and you can go back and forth any way you want to.
Then I tried with Radio autovolume disabled and it worked just fine. The intensity of volume change may depend on what kind of speakers (headset) you use.
The headset volume also depends on the Autocom volume preset, that you can set separately for driver and passenger.
I use the BMW headset on mine '07 and it works fine. Initially I played with various settings and finally I left both autovolumes "ON". This is because I have two helmets (one with and one without headset) and use them both. I got tired of switching the radio autovolume ON/OFF depending on what helmet I used.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Waz said:
Can't ride without music so have an Autocom Pro-Rider connected to the radio/CD on my 2005 LT.

However, the Autocom unit also has a speed related volume increase and the two together seem to double the volume increase at high speed and reduce it at low speeds so that I am continuously manually adjusting the volume.

Thanks
Waz[/QUOT

How does the Autocom unit know how fast you are moving?

·
Registered
270 Posts
hOW TO TURN OFF THE AUTO VOLUME

Open the instructions to the super pro avi it shows one how to disable the auto volume adjustment. You have to open the case of the unit and move a switch on the board. Kieth 918-446-2245 if you need more help. :histerica

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
The radio on the bike has a speed sensitive volume adjustment. You press and hold the 'Manual' button for a few seconds until 'SV' or 'SVOL' (it has been a while) comes up in the display. The choices are 1-4 and off IIRC.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
Randy said:
The radio on the bike has a speed sensitive volume adjustment. You press and hold the 'Manual' button for a few seconds until 'SV' or 'SVOL' (it has been a while) comes up in the display. The choices are 1-4 and off IIRC.
Yup, your rememberer is right on. It shows as 'SVOL'. However!! I thought that particular adjustment wuz just for how *fast* the volume adjustment is made (i.e.; stage 1 = steep, rapid increase. Stage 4 = gradual, slow increase). I haven't worked the buttons on ole Toad in some time, so can't recall the affect these settings have. Guess I oughta crank it up sometime.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,169 Posts
My Autocom was fine once I turned off the Bike's SVOL.

·
Registered
67 Posts
charlieg said:
Waz said:

Thanks
Waz[/QUOT

How does the Autocom unit know how fast you are moving?
Has a background noise sensor which is attached to your lid/headset.

Jim

·
Registered
231 Posts
You're not pulling my leg Jim?
Where is that sensor located on the headset?
BJ

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
bjedruszczak said:
You're not pulling my leg Jim?
Where is that sensor located on the headset?
BJ
As far as I know it is only on the PRO AVi units. It is a small, separate microphone to detect ambient noise. It is about the size of the eraser on a pencil. It connects to the wiring harness in the helmet, just like the primary microphone. One of the secrets to making it work correctly is to vary the placement. I have found that mine track the increase in noise the best when poking out under the right side of my helmet. That way they pick up the increase in wind noise when I am riding my S, with its smaller windshield.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all who responded.
I have spent the day experimenting and have found the best setting is to leave the Autocom auto volume switched on and the BMW radio auto volume turned off.
Thanks a bundle to everyone the other side of the pond especially those advising how to switch the BMW autovolume off.
Happy riding and regards to all.
Waz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts