BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to change the fuel filter on a 2001 K1200; the Clymer manual references a special tool to unscrew the fuel pump/fuel filter assy from the gas tank.

Any recommendations on this? Has anyone used a strap type oil filter wrench to remove?

Thanks Guys

PS: I just picked up all the repainted parts from the paint shop. Can't wait to put her back together again.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
There was a post on this subject about a month ago, I think the consensus was a large pair of channel lock pliers will do the job. Try the search function to find the actual post as there were other "solutions" also.

Looks like a strap wench is the consensus today. :D

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I changed out the fuel pump, filter and hoses inside the tank last month. I loosened the big nut and put it back on with a small ball peen hammer and a dull chisel. I marked the big nut so I would know how much to tighten it when I went back. Hope this helps........... :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
I had a machinist friend build me a replica of the BMW special tool thinking it would be easy and allow me to properly torque the big nut. Turned out it was the biggest pain in the butt to use. I went back to a strap wrench.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
+1 for strap wrench

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
Put a chalk mark on the big nut and the tank so you can "line it up" for proper torque when you put it back on. Clean the rubber gasket and re-install it dry. Put the filter/pump plate in (dry as well) lining up the arrows. I like to put a little grease on the back side of the nut where it contacts the pump plate, makes it easier to tighten up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.