BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to change the fuel filter in the '00 LT. I was checking an on-line parts fiche to see what I need and there is a special tool to make a one-time crimp on a new hose clamp. Woo Hoo the price is $64.31 !
Is there another version from an auto parts store?

This is the clamp . . .
"This is a "ONE TIME" (non-reusable) clamp. You need a special crimping tool to install. This tool can be found in the Service and Tools section under aftermarket."

Any other precautions? Should I also replace the hose? Would it be damaged when removing the clamp?

I don't recall that being the case when it was done as a demo at CCR TanTara

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
All you need to do is to buy 5/16 screw fuel injection clamps. They are rated for the high fuel pressure & are reusable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
While you are at it ... relocate the fuel filter from inside the tank to under the passenger seat. Makes things alot easier if you need to change it out a second time.

oh, and +1 on the stainless screw clamps instead of the crimped ones.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
I picked up a set of end cutters at HF and just sanded off the sharp edge. But I have yet to use a stock BMW clamp. I would consider replacing that shaped hose if you are going in. Several have had pinhole leaks, a sure sign of aging.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
saddleman said:
All you need to do is to buy 5/16 screw fuel injection clamps. They are rated for the high fuel pressure & are reusable.
+1 a trip to auto store and get the hose connectors without the slots the fuel injection line clamps. I put those on when I changed out that cheap plastic fuel fitting.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's help and a reminder that I need to ----!

"Greetings,

It's been a year since your last donation to support the site - "MEMBER (BMWLT.com): Standard" . The success of BMW Luxury Touring Community is directly related to the support and participation of valued members such as yourself. If you would like to continue to support the site, please feel free to visit our donation page at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/subscriptions.php

Thanks for your continued support,

BMW Luxury Touring Community team
"

·
Registered
204 Posts
I smell a tech session! C'mon Paul, I'm bored!

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Family_fun said:
I smell a tech session! C'mon Paul, I'm bored!
Suspect that it will be multiple week ends this winter with the new SS brake lines, fuel filter, check of buckets, etc. (48K Maintenance)

I just need to be super organized so I don't have any extra pieces/parts left over. Perhaps I should install a security video camera and tape each operation! :histerica

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Fortunately, this is not a special 'BMW' tool. It is available from many sources such as McMaster-Carr for $21.67. They refer to it as 'pinch' style.Well worth buying. Properly installed there is no worry about it coming loose or biting into the fuel line.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
You can get the same tool at your local welding supply store. The hoses on a cutting torch use the same clamps. I think I gave $9 for mine............... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts