BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into changing out the speakers and radio in my 2003 K1200LT.

Anyone with experience have specific recommendations for speakers that will fit the front and the rear? I am not looking for audiophile quality... More so durable and affordable.

I am actually going to hire a BMW experienced mechanic if his price is reasonable. he has done it in the past and was able to keep the handle bar buttons working for the new radio.

I plan on replacing the factory radio. Does it need to be a Marine grade radio? I do not drive in severe weather... and the door/lid that covers the current radio seems water tight. I have never seen any moisture in it. I keep a remote in the area and it has always remained dry.

I'll be removing the CB, the intercom and the 6-disk player.

Any pearls of wisdom?

·
Registered
343 Posts
No help with your question but I am curious about the CB. Is it a stand alone unit or does it interface through other parts of the system. My 14 RT has the factory radio pack but no CB (at least I havent found one) and I have thought about adding one if it is not too obtrusive. Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike is at my Mech. I'll take Picks when I get it back. If I splurge and get it removed... I'll send you picks..

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
You have posted this in the wrong section. We are K1200GT guys
Doesn't say much for the GT guys if you can't even tell what forum you are in. The OP is in the LT forum and so are you.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
As far as I know.... and I double checked, I am posting on the K1200LT forum. Let me know if I am wrong.
You did post it in the K1200GT forum but I moved it to the LT forum.:wave

Doesn't say much for the GT guys if you can't even tell what forum you are in. The OP is in the LT forum and so are you.
You can see it was moved.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
You did post it in the K1200GT forum but I moved it to the LT forum.:wave

You can see it was moved.
Not real obvious to me that it was moved when viewing from the LT forum. I assume must be one of the itty bitty icons indicates a move?

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Not real obvious to me that it was moved when viewing from the LT forum. I assume must be one of the itty bitty icons indicates a move?
You can not tell by looking at the LT page but as shown in the pic I posted from the GT paige it was moved.

Know back to the OP's question.........:wave

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
You can not tell by looking at the LT page but as shown in the pic I posted from the GT paige it was moved.

Know back to the OP's question.........:wave
Got it. I thought your comment earlier suggested that I should have known it was a moved thread. I only read the LT forum and saw no indication of a move in. I was curious if there was some subtle indicator I had yet to come across.
:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
You might check out these Polk Audio marine speakers. db351 - Polk Audio
They're 3 1/2 inch and might work for you. I have Polks on my boat and am very happy with them. Good weatherproof quality and great sound.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Suggest you not waste your time trying to get decent sound out of the on-bike system. Spend your money on a good helmet intercom system instead. You can get a two pack of Sena SMH10 head sets from Amazon for under $300. With these you have blue tooth to talk on your phone, talk to your passenger, listen to your GPS, and a jack to plug-in your iPod or other MP3 music. My wife and I can talk to each other easily and clearly and we can each listen to our own music when we aren't talking. Controls are very simple to use with gloves and the sound is much clearer than trying to manage the on-bike stereo at speed. If you just have to have FM there are models that have that too.

Cheers!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Suggest you not waste your time trying to get decent sound out of the on-bike system. Spend your money on a good helmet intercom system instead. You can get a two pack of Sena SMH10 head sets from Amazon for under $300. With these you have blue tooth to talk on your phone, talk to your passenger, listen to your GPS, and a jack to plug-in your iPod or other MP3 music. My wife and I can talk to each other easily and clearly and we can each listen to our own music when we aren't talking. Controls are very simple to use with gloves and the sound is much clearer than trying to manage the on-bike stereo at speed. If you just have to have FM there are models that have that too.

Cheers!
That's what I did too. Now no one but my passenger and I know what we're listening to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's what I did too. Now no one but my passenger and I know what we're listening to.
Right up until you get caught at a traffic light singing along with music only you can hear!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I replaced my speakers many years ago. Been very happy with them. Also have a Sena headset and really wish I could find a way to get the onboard radio to connect to it via bluetooth so I could use the radio controls but get music in the helmet.

The Polk speakers I went with are very good sounding and have held up excellent. You can see my write-up HERE

I might be able to dig up the pictures but after all this time, I can't say for sure.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I replaced my speakers many years ago. Been very happy with them. Also have a Sena headset and really wish I could find a way to get the onboard radio to connect to it via bluetooth so I could use the radio controls but get music in the helmet.

The Polk speakers I went with are very good sounding and have held up excellent. You can see my write-up HERE

I might be able to dig up the pictures but after all this time, I can't say for sure.
Sena makes what your looking for: Sena SM10-01 SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter and
SENA 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 6 Pin DIN Cable for SM10 Dual Stream Stereo Transmitter SC-A0124

Look them up on amazon.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sena makes what your looking for: Sena SM10-01 SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter and
SENA 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 6 Pin DIN Cable for SM10 Dual Stream Stereo Transmitter SC-A0124

Look them up on amazon.
How would that connect into the factory radio? I don't have a factory intercom which it looks like the SC-A0124 would connect to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts