BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a busy couple weeks with the LT, swapped fluids on the rear drive, trans, changed the oil, swapped plugs, even learned what a B**ch it is to remove the ENTIRE damn fuel tank to get to the air filter, etc.

I've been less than thrilled with the audio performance on the beast, so I followed the lead of CCPastorjack and decided to upgrade. Went with Alpine SPS-130A 5 1/4" 2-way speakers after talking to Crutchfield and researching reviews.

The SPS-130A speakers have a high performance center tweeter that is "aimable" in the direction you want, made from poly not paper (therefore water safe--like the OEM's) 35 watt constant, with 175 watt max, 4ohm, 45-30,000 hz, 92 db sensitivity, bla bla bla (better than OEM).

(Originally I tried Pyle brand marine speakers, but they sucked, and I was told that any speaker made of poly instead of paper is just fine for our applications)

Anyway, I've read past threads where some members said they noticed a significant difference, some noticed none at all--I have noticed a huge difference. Now, granted, my OEM speakers (I have an '04) were brittle as hell...perhaps because the bike spent three years in Atlanta before I bought it and brought it to Dallas, so it's been a hot weather steed, I don't know. Pics below show the difference between old and new.

I've posted a WORD document with step by step pics and instructions for anyone interested in doing the same, with the disclaimer that I am no pro...in other words, I take no responsibility if you blow anything up.

Now, the best part...

I got my speakers off of EBay for $33.94 INCLUDING SHIPPING per pair!

if you want to see the install stuff, I put the file on: http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayimage.php?pos=-131

moderators, if it meets your standards, feel free to toss it in the maintenance section.

Be well all

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Great job!

Pete,
Step 7=B
turn key on, 2 full twists of throttle, turn key off!
Then step 8
I keep forgetting that part and only remember when the bike runs crappy! Thanks for the directions. I'm doing it.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Offwego said:
Pete,
Step 7=B
turn key on, 2 full twists of throttle, turn key off!
Then step 8
I keep forgetting that part and only remember when the bike runs crappy! Thanks for the directions. I'm doing it.

d'oh...BMW's manual says "one" I always do three...

lemme know what you think of the swap, and remember my OEM speakers were old and dry and brittle (as Rodney Dangerfield would say "Like my wife...") so your results may vary.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Did you replace the front?

B

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Brainfry said:
Did you replace the front?

B
I'm waiting for the write on this as well for those of us who ride without a top case :)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fronts...

yup, did the fronts as well, didn't think to take pics.

Same basic process as the rears, the only difference was that the speakers aren't a direct and easy fit like the rears are--the bracket that holds the OEM speaker down fits a little differently.

My way around it was to remove the OEM speaker, place the plastic oblong bracket back in its place, then bend three of the four finger-like prongs at the base of the new speakers (used for mounting the speaker) upwards with a flat pliers so the new speaker was "round." Then I took a spare, large washer, slipped that over the 12 o'clock screw for the original speaker, and used that to attach the new one, screwed it down, and it was very solid.

The front speakers have a very intricate rubber gasket around them that makes it challenging, but the connections are identical...just unplug and plug the new ones in, one is smaller than the other so you can't do it incorrectly, and both front and rear are 5 1/4".

I've attached a word doc of screenshots of the '04 and earlier manual showing BMW's instructions for front and rear replacement, keep in mind that there is no separate tweeter if you go with what I did...which is just ONE option...

P

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
thanks

i appreciate that info and the time you took to research and document things
ive been wanting to change out my front speakers for a while
ive ridden most of the last year without the top bag on the back and my front speakers werent too good before i started that....and now they are worse....

im gonna round up some of those and see what happens!

thanks alot!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
That's just awesome Pete - I'm ordering up four in just a few minutes.

Quick question for 'ya: Is it possible to do the fronts without removing the upper fairing per BMW's instructions? Looks like the grills just pop off and then you're in?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RonKMiller said:
That's just awesome Pete - I'm ordering up four in just a few minutes.

Quick question for 'ya: Is it possible to do the fronts without removing the upper fairing per BMW's instructions? Looks like the grills just pop off and then you're in?

Thanks!

can't say on the '05's and beyond, but for mine, I had to take the side upper fairings off, remove the windshield, take off the front tupperware, remove the stingray, THEN take off the entire piece...the "grilles" are attached from the inside...

although, after all that, I did think that taking a sawz-all to it would have been a lot easier. Come to think of it, a nice pair of in-ear headphones for the ipod would have solved my problem, too...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Drivers

petevandyke said:
can't say on the '05's and beyond, but for mine, I had to take the side upper fairings off, remove the windshield, take off the front tupperware, remove the stingray, THEN take off the entire piece...the "grilles" are attached from the inside...

although, after all that, I did think that taking a sawz-all to it would have been a lot easier. Come to think of it, a nice pair of in-ear headphones for the ipod would have solved my problem, too...
And you've found that the OEM audio system drives these speakers with enough power? Ie, no external amp necessary?

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brainfry said:
And you've found that the OEM audio system drives these speakers with enough power? Ie, no external amp necessary?

I replaced just the right side first so I could answer just that question for myself. Yes, the OEM system drives it. The new speaker was louder at the same volume setting than the old one, clearer, and sounded better. And the new speakers handled much higher volume (from the handlebar volume "switch") before noticable distortion than the old ones.

Again, my old OEM speakers were pretty brittle, your results may vary...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the info... definitely a project I'm gonna consider... add it to the list of others that's growing everyday. ha.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pete,
I think the moderators are not getting my message or are not responding at this time. I have attempted to click on the thread and have tried the files. No luck. I am hoping the speakers come in soon and right now plan on working on them over the weekend.
Jim Wimberley

·
Registered
659 Posts
petevandyke said:
I've had a busy couple weeks with the LT, swapped fluids on the rear drive, trans, changed the oil, swapped plugs, even learned what a B**ch it is to remove the ENTIRE damn fuel tank to get to the air filter, etc.

I've been less than thrilled with the audio performance on the beast, so I followed the lead of CCPastorjack and decided to upgrade. Went with Alpine SPS-130A 5 1/4" 2-way speakers after talking to Crutchfield and researching reviews.

The SPS-130A speakers have a high performance center tweeter that is "aimable" in the direction you want, made from poly not paper (therefore water safe--like the OEM's) 35 watt constant, with 175 watt max, 4ohm, 45-30,000 hz, 92 db sensitivity, bla bla bla (better than OEM).

(Originally I tried Pyle brand marine speakers, but they sucked, and I was told that any speaker made of poly instead of paper is just fine for our applications)

Anyway, I've read past threads where some members said they noticed a significant difference, some noticed none at all--I have noticed a huge difference. Now, granted, my OEM speakers (I have an '04) were brittle as hell...perhaps because the bike spent three years in Atlanta before I bought it and brought it to Dallas, so it's been a hot weather steed, I don't know. Pics below show the difference between old and new.

I've posted a WORD document with step by step pics and instructions for anyone interested in doing the same, with the disclaimer that I am no pro...in other words, I take no responsibility if you blow anything up.

Now, the best part...

I got my speakers off of EBay for $33.94 INCLUDING SHIPPING per pair!

if you want to see the install stuff, I put the file on: http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayimage.php?pos=-131

moderators, if it meets your standards, feel free to toss it in the maintenance section.

Be well all

Pete
My question is this: was the improvement in audio quality significant enough to take on this task?

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
very very much so...but I say that with the disclaimer that my OEM speakers were old and dry and brittle (you know, like Griff likes his womens!), so it's certainly possible that "your results may vary."

I wear a full-face helmet, have noticed a dramatic improvement in FM radio, cd, zumo-fed XM radio, mp3, and ipod audio.

would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Reid said:
My question is this: was the improvement in audio quality significant enough to take on this task?
It was a HUGE improvement on the rears. I used MTX 5 1/4 and it is night and day. No tweeter separate, just a good 2 way speaker. As soon as I do a Tupperware gig, I will do the fronts. Less then an hour for the rears so it is worth it big time.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Correction I used

Kicker 5 1/4" Coaxial Speakers
Model #: KKR 055KS525

Smooth, Sweet, and nice output.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried a pair of MTX 5001 component speakers. They are great speakers almost to good for the bike. They went in the rear with very little trouble but will not work in the front without quite a lot of modification. The magnets are to large to fit in the stock box. The other problem is you really can't get the potential of the speaker without adding more amp.
Bob

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Jbl

petevandyke said:
The SPS-130A speakers have a high performance center tweeter that is "aimable" in the direction you want, made from poly not paper (therefore water safe--like the OEM's) 35 watt constant, with 175 watt max, 4ohm, 45-30,000 hz, 92 db sensitivity, bla bla bla (better than OEM).Pete
Hi Pete, thanks for the heads up!
Nice mod.
Now for the amp :)

Here's one I saw on a Russian bike, from JBLansing

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Where? What amp?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts