BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering upgrading the speakers on my LT. Can anyone tell me if the factory speakers are behind some sort of waterproof barrier, or do I need to get outdoor/marine speakers?

I am open to other suggestions for improving the sound quality through the speakers (for when I am not plugged into the intercom for whatever reason). Perhaps the radio is crummy and new speakers would be like putting earrings on a pig.

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
This gets discussed every so often. You would need to get waterproof speakers. There isn't really a bolt in speaker replacement that's much better than stock, and while adding a separate amp does show an improvement, that can be expensive and difficult to fit.

Some folks think the upgrade is worth it, many others don't. I use helmet speakers and an iPod exclusively (in fact, my radio is in a box in my garage) and am quite happy with that setup.

A search on "speaker upgrade" brings up a few useful links, such as this thread and this thread.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ken, for the tip. I think I'll invest the speaker money in some molded ear pieces to use with my Autocom instead. At the end of the day, that may be best, and will be less likely to tick off everyone around me at stop lights and in residential areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts