BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through the forum and i did a search but did not find the information i am hopping is out there. I would like to do away with all my radio stuff from my 2000 k1200lt and be able to hook my ipod iphone along with the garman XM up to the speakers. Is there a way that i can do that. I would like to use the space that the radio is in for comfort stuff.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Does your Garmin have an output on it? My Zumo 660 has an output on the harness from the mount that includes a 3.5mm output on it. You can buy an adapter that will take that 3.5mm output and convert it to an RCA output, which is what most amps accept as input from the head unit. On my bike I'm planning on buying a marine amp and using that to drive the speakers.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I have looked through the forum and i did a search but did not find the information i am hopping is out there. I would like to do away with all my radio stuff from my 2000 k1200lt and be able to hook my ipod iphone along with the garman XM up to the speakers. Is there a way that i can do that. I would like to use the space that the radio is in for comfort stuff.
Just making sure I understand what you are asking, you want to remove the radio and then connect an iphone/ipod through an XM radio to the speakers.
If that is what you are doing all you need to do is connect into the speaker wires that plug into the back of the radio. Now since I don't know the power output capability of that XM radio or the speaker impedance it can drive (4,6,8 ohms) it may not work well or it will work great. If you look into the technical files area you will find a radio wiring diagram that identifies the wires you need to tap into.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont want to run it through the Garman XM. It is an old unit that wont accept the upgrades so i will be working on replacing that. Maybe an AMP will be needed but i should be able to identify wire coming from the radio to the speakers.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I initially removed the BMW radio and replaced with the Jensen marine radio with sat radio service using the stock speakers. I later removed that radio unit and replaced with a Garmin Zumo GPS unit w/ XM satellite combined with the traffic/weather setup. I run my iPhone through the setup as well. The removal of the radio provided a significant amount of space in the oddments box, which has been great for storage purposes. I don't use the stock speakers anymore, but listen via bluetooth in my helmet speakers. I don't miss using the speakers and like the fact that I don't have to make volume adjustments. So it you're completely committed to using the speakers, the earlier marine grade amplifier suggestion should work for you.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts