BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one out there with good alternatives for spark plugs for the K1200lt? I'm looking to see if there is something better than the standard Bosch plugs for my 2000 LT. I've looked at a few threads but most are more than a few years old. There seems to be plenty of new plug technology available. Not looking for any new fangled ronco plugs as seen on tv but some honest alternatives.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've used NGKs from Advance Auto the past two changes. Whopping $2.39 each. The ones I took out a couple weeks ago looked nearly as good as the ones going in. I believe they can run longer than the 12,000 miles the maintenance schedule calls for.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lee,

I have the twin to your bike! Which plug number? I'd like to look at a Iridium or double platnum.

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't hear much on plugs except from Lee and the NGK's. I was able to find NGK DCPR7EIX (iR) for $6.99 each at O'Reily Auto (our old Checker Auto). They didn't have in stock but will have them this afternoon. Looks like a good plug at a good price. Will let you know how it goes. I just completed a Valve check and replaced all my intake valve buckets and a few exhaust. New oils and filter checks so with the plugs, should run as good as new. 57,000 miles at this time and still going strong! :)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
John, Sorry late getting back to this thread. In 2004 I put a set of Splitfire TP416D plugs in my LT. The bike ran well and I had almost 70,000 miles on them when I totaled the bike in 2007. Digging through my notes today and the web they are no longer being made to fit the LT. The only thing I see now along those lines are a plug called a DiamondFire E3 for the LT. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm gong to consider them, as the E3.36 shows as the TP416D replacement on the Splitfire site. Probably more expensive than what you're looking at, but just something else some has used.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve,

Thanks, I'll see what they cost and if they can be had at O'Riely auto. Going over there now.

John

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Steve_R said:
------------------------------------- The only thing I see now along those lines are a plug called a DiamondFire E3 for the LT. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm gong to consider them, as the E3.36 shows as the TP416D replacement on the Splitfire site. ----------------------------------------.
I looked at the E3 website, and see that they do not offer platinum or iridium tips. I also see a LOT of snake oil advertisements for the E3 plugs for everything from lawn mowers up. None of their exorbitant claims make any sense at all. There is precious little anyone can do in spark plug design to make one work a lot better than others. Gains will be miniscule at best. The only reason for platinum and iridium tipped electrodes is to get far longer life, but performance gains will be only slight. I did notice a little better throttle response with the Splitfire TP416D plugs over new stock ones, to my surprise, as I did not expect ANY performance difference, just longer life.

The E3 plugs seem to be total snake oil to me. Not even precious metal tipped for longer life! I would use the NGK iridiums in the LT now since the TP416D is no longer available.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
wsp310 said:
Hi Lee,

I have the twin to your bike! Which plug number? I'd like to look at a Iridium or double platnum.

John
John,
I have the receipt, but it doesn't show the NGK number, only Advance's numbers. They are 19650341 and 3932. I'm not sure which number is the stock number. I just gave the counter person the year, make, and model and he asked me which plug I wanted. These plugs are the plain ole resisters. I used them last time in a pinch, as I couldn't find the Bosch Supers locally. Worked well enough to use again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm using NGK DPR7EA-9 instead of Bosch this year as a test. Reason = cost, less than $3 each. I'll report at the end of the year if they go the distance. The Bosch plugs were replaced at the end of each year = 35,000 miles with no noticable degradation in performance. Hope the NGK's do as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the NGK iR plugs today at O'Rielly auto. They didn't have them in stock when I first called but managed to get 4 in 2 1/2 hours. $6.99 each. They look good and all the info I received was positive. They did have a few of the E3 plugs there but not the E3.36 which is what was said to be the replacement to the Spitfires.

The E3's they did have looked like they have a tip that almost goes all the way around the electrode, almost like a flare nut wrench. It offers much more surface for the spark to travel too but like said earlier by Dave, does not seem to have platinum or iR for the tip. O'Rielly auto didn't have them in stock and the kid at the counter didn't know if he could get them but quoted me a price under $6.00 each.

As a note when I put the NGK's in, they first felt loose as if the threads were not the same but when I checked them against the Bosch's, the measurements between the two were exact. The did tighten up well but at first had me leary. When I tried, the LT started right up without any hesitation. Have not yet taken for a ride as I'm still putting the tupperwear back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts