BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never replaced my plugs unless I had her apart!!! I would like to change them now because she's running rough, gas mileage is down to 30mpg and I have replaced the oxygen sensor, the CPU, and nothing has changed. SO I THOUGHT I"LL DO THE PLUGS!

NOW the question. do you really have to remove all of the left side tupper ware?? OR can you get by with removing just the lower panel?????

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I don't remember.

But, whenever I'm that far into it, I pull the valve cover gasket off and check the shim clearances.

And, I make sure I have a socket that fits the new plugs; first time I ordered parts, it was two valve cover gaskets, and two spark plugs (force of habit).

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
remove lower left panel only.................
Just finished my spring plug replacement

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Bill,

Just the lower panel for a plug change. Be careful not to strip the inside of the socket head screws on the cover over the plugs.....those are aluminum screws and must be replaced with aluminum if damaged. You normally can't find them locally either.

HTH,

Ron

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! Spark Plug repacement without?

I will do the replacement this AM and see if that fixes anything???

But I want you'll to know what a wonder resource my wife thinks this board is, she "says you wouldn't believe it he just ask a question and in the morning there is the answer", and I ditto that!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Re: Thanks guys!! Spark Plug repacement without?

Bill.. I know it's "rare", but don't exclued the possibility of replacing the plug wires, too... just a thought... you can "test ride" with the lower and the center removed...

·
Registered
637 Posts
How about the opening between the two outher parts on the sparkplug?
Do we need to adjust them and in case, how much?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

cfell said:
Bill.. I know it's "rare", but don't exclued the possibility of replacing the plug wires, too... just a thought... you can "test ride" with the lower and the center removed...
Channing, plug wires next, the plugs didn't make any change in the MPG..... (short run checking the on board) Just as a note the only plug available locally were the NGK, and first impression seat of the pants wise, they didn't feel as good as the old stock plugs??? I'm about 00miles from the shop so I wil have better info by Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts

...if pullin on plug wires to replace plugs, it's possible to fracture the wire...

There's no way to "test" the plug wires, but what you say about the change in performance does sound like a plug/wire problem...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

cfell said:
...if pullin on plug wires to replace plugs, it's possible to fracture the wire...

There's no way to "test" the plug wires, but what you say about the change in performance does sound like a plug/wire problem...
Are the plug wires carbon or wire, ie copper? If they are of the carbon type can you replace them with copper, etc..

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
bulletbill said:
......she's running rough, gas mileage is down to 30mpg and I have replaced the oxygen sensor, the CPU, and nothing has changed. /QUOTE]

Since you are trying to solve the above symptoms, I wonder if you have done a code-fault readout using the dealer MoDiTek computer or the aftermarket GS-911 to check on things?

If you haven't, it might just point you in the right direction rather than doing a "shotgun" replacement of plugs, wires, etc. HTH.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts

bulletbill said:
Are the plug wires carbon or wire, ie copper? If they are of the carbon type can you replace them with copper, etc..
OEM wires will keep the RF from attacking your audio systems. Be careful, these LT's have a lot of noise issues as it is.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts

bulletbill said:
I would DEFINITELY replace them with OEM.. I haven't pulled one apart so I'm not sure of the design.

I'd bet Tony would have a set for "replacement" to validate the problem.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts

Have a few scotches before you go to the dealer for the spark plug wires. I hear they are spendy. Try running the bike at night in the dark and look for arcing from the plug wires to the engine. How old is your gas? Gas does go bad.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

cfell said:
I would DEFINITELY replace them with OEM.. I haven't pulled one apart so I'm not sure of the design.

I'd bet Tony would have a set for "replacement" to validate the problem.
We started off this whole deal checking it out with Tony's computer, showed a bad OS, replaced the OS, but no change. Check with Tony again and got a motronic (sp) replaced that, no change, well just thought I'll try the plugs, no change???

So I will change the wires (got a set on a bike I'm rebuilding or I'll get a set from the Man Tony...)

As for gas it doesn't last long at 30mpg... (rode 400 miles yesterday) I have also tried the B-12 for a couple of tanks, no change??????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts