BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many posts discussing if and where to carry the plastic spare key when out and about. Some say in their wallet, others give it to a fellow rider and others just leave it at home (praying they don't need it this trip). And others have said somewhere on the bike but then worry about where and if it will be safe. Under the seat is useless as you would require a key to get to your key. Here is my suggestion and you can take it for what it is worth to you.

First, I don't want to carry it in my wallet for a host of reasons.
Second, I want it on the bike and I want it safe.
Third, I also want it easy to get to so I'm not spending a lot of time trying to retrieve it.

I stumble across this location when I disassembled the front headlight assembly to swap out the bulbs for LEDs.
It is well hidden and if you weren't reading this post you would never know where to look for it. One can only hope that by posting this info it does not cause folks to go around checking every RT out there for a hidden key. That said, I believe most folks are honest and I have good insurance so if there is a scumbag that reads this and finds my key and steals my bike :mad:, well that means it's time to upgrade. :)

I am attaching 3 pictures which should tell you everything you need. The location is discreet, secure and easy to get to.

Again, this may not work for you depending on your paranoia level but for me I always have it available if/when needed in a secure location that is easy to get to. YMMV

·
Registered
42 Posts
When touring with another rider, I always give them a spare key to my bike. I don't lose keys very often, so I've never needed it, but out of all the few things a rider should have two of, keys are on the top of the list.

·
Registered
'20 R1250RS, '87 VFR 400R & '18 Alfa Romeo Giulia ti Lusso..
199 Posts
Excellent. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
299 Posts
I put mine in a mini plastic ziplock type bag and hide it under the rubber on my footpeg . Works perfectly and takes about 3 seconds to access

Reactions: Hfjeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a bone head, never new the mirrors folded in lol. Went to go check and it has a string in there already, wonder if dealer must have used that area to hang sales sheets or something. But great idea thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hiding a key in the mirror housing seems like a slam dunk, but be careful! Thrice (in 6 years), my mirror housing has opened on its own -- first time was the result of a zero mph tipover, the second time when bumped in a parking lot, the third time while cruising on a "shake'n'bake" road, at about 55 mph.

Be careful -- don't lose that key!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiding a key in the mirror housing seems like a slam dunk, but be careful! Thrice (in 6 years), my mirror housing has opened on its own -- first time was the result of a zero mph tipover, the second time when bumped in a parking lot, the third time while cruising on a "shake'n'bake" road, at about 55 mph.

Be careful -- don't lose that key!
Yep, that's why I suggested attaching it to the string so if for any reason the mirror were to open, it would remain attached and not fall out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm a bone head, never new the mirrors folded in lol. Went to go check and it has a string in there already, wonder if dealer must have used that area to hang sales sheets or something. But great idea thanks!
The all have a string in there, it’s a tether to prevent losing the back cover on the mirror which is removable. The OP used a small key ring to attach the spare key to it, it would not be lost if the mirror folded back or the cover came off. An outstanding idea my complements for sharing it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I note the picture of the mirror in the closed position. How do you get to the open position? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just pull the mirror back towards the rear of the bike. It folds back just like most car mirrors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I note the picture of the mirror in the closed position. How do you get to the open position? Thanks for your help.
Just pull the mirror back towards the rear of the bike. It folds back just like most car mirrors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be clear, pull back on the entire mirror assembly, not the mirror itself. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, pull back by placing your hand on the outside of the mirror housing. It'll fold back and toward the bike.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Mine is in a magnetic "safe box" that sits on the "ledge" behind the front fairing side panel

Product Lens Electronic device Technology Line

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have you checked to be certain that storing the plastic emergency key so close to a rare earth magnet will not cause issues with the data I believe is contained in the plastic emergency key? I'm not entirely sure how that emergency key works other than it must be in direct proximity to the dash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Have you checked to be certain that storing the plastic emergency key so close to a rare earth magnet will not cause issues with the data I believe is contained in the plastic emergency key? I'm not entirely sure how that emergency key works other than it must be in direct proximity to the dash.
It's been sitting there since last March.
I tried it today and the Bike turned on right away.
No issue for me

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
It's been sitting there since last March.
I tried it today and the Bike turned on right away.
No issue for me
Pretty much what I would expect, but I would also have been quite cautious! I believe that what's inside the plastic key is RFI technology, like what we have in our contactless creditcards nowadays. Those are not affected by magnetic field.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.