BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,
Does anybody happen to know how I can get an extra key and accompanying alarm remote? My LT is a 2007 which I bought used with only 6000 miles on her but I only got one key. As scatterbrained as I am, I'm likly to misplace it.
The only dealership in Alabama has announced it's closed, so checking with them won't work. I suspect I'll need to go through a dealer, but I thought I'd check for advice from the forum gurus first.

Thanks,

Bill Rhegness

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
Rhegness said:
Hi gang,
The only dealership in Alabama has announced it's closed, so checking with them won't work.
I didn't know Bogarts was shutting down. But I checked their web site and sure enough. Looks like mail order for the FOB and Bloodworth's for the key. Unless you just go for the e-bay blank and Wal Mart. A local lock smith may have a blank and can do the key.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
As far as the key goes, I got one at my local lock smith. I think I paid around $5 or $6 for it.

And it's just a flat key so I can put it in my wallet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. This forum has greatly accellerated my learning curve for this bike. Really a big help. The more I ride & read, the more comfortabnle I am with it.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Same thing here with the local locksmith. I think he said the LT uses the same blank as some BMW cars.

Chris Ogle

·
Premium Member
94 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
cwo said:
Same thing here with the local locksmith. I think he said the LT uses the same blank as some BMW cars.

Chris Ogle
The key blank "ilco X59 BMW2" for BMW cars is a perfect replacement that most, if not all, locksmiths will have. I use X59 copies on both my LT and 1100GS. There is another BMW blank that won't work.

If you buy the steel blank from your BMW dealer you may have a hard time finding a locksmith who will copy it--too hard for their cutter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rhegness said:
Just bought the remote off ebay. Thanks guys,
Good luck on programing the remote. It took me, the service manager and 3 techs from the dealership I purchased the remote from, about 3 hours to successfully program it! One of the techs finally got it to work. Can't tell you what he did different than what all of us tried. We just followed the instructions in the service manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rhegness said:
Just bought the remote off ebay. Thanks guys,
Hmmm apparently it was the last one cuz it's not allowing me to buy one, don't the ads just disappear when they're sold out?

Like the O/P, my purchase didn't include any spares.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts