BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to get a spare FD off of a 2005 LT for 170.00 with shipping. It was taken off for a trike conversion and is in good condition and no metal chips when oil was drained out. Is it worth having one for a spare at that price? I think that is about 1/2 the cost of a rebuild if my present one goes bad so I am not sure if it is good insurance or not. I suppose if I were to take a long trip it would be good for a failure away fro ma BMW dealer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
That is a good price and of course you could always sell it for at least that much in the future.
If you'd have the funds available why not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnbaker15 said:
That is a good price and of course you could always sell it for at least that much in the future.
If you'd have the funds available why not?
I am going to get it then. Good insurnace policy I guess.
Wonder if there will be any way to tell if it is in good condition while it is not on an LT ?

Thanks
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,534 Posts
For $170 I'd pick it up. Then pack it in a box, along with a printed copy of the installation instructions and any special tools needed, all ready to be shipped out. So if you do have a failure out on the road, your wife or a friend could just pop it in the post to wherever you happen to be.

Most dealers or decent mechanics could do the swap without too much trouble, if they had the part available.

As you said, it's cheap insurance. :bmw:
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,785 Posts
Get it - that is a good price. Plus once you have one you will never have a final drive failure. :) I have had my spare for five years now and it has been on four different bikes but never on mine!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
jzeiler said:
Get it - that is a good price. Plus once you have one you will never have a final drive failure. :) I have had my spare for five years now and it has been on four different bikes but never on mine!!

John is absolutely correct. Having a spare final drive is like having a fire extinguisher handy. If you have it, you'll never need it.

Loren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Or just get a spare bike. If yours breaks down, just use the other bike.
Or, if your bike is too old, and you worry, or are concerned that it might break down, get a new bike.
They come with all new parts.
dc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David13 said:
Or just get a spare bike. If yours breaks down, just use the other bike.
Or, if your bike is too old, and you worry, or are concerned that it might break down, get a new bike.
They come with all new parts.
dc
Hey now here is a smart man, WOW !

I see you ride an R bike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
David13 said:
Or just get a spare bike. If yours breaks down, just use the other bike.
Or, if your bike is too old, and you worry, or are concerned that it might break down, get a new bike.
They come with all new parts.
dc
I think I am going to file this reply for future use...where else can you get this kind of wisdom for free. :wave Thanks Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Thank you thank you. Departing wisdom of this nature, gratuitous is nothing but a pleasure for me.
Unfortunately I cannot take my own advice on the two bike idea. Due to indecision, I end up never going anyplace.
I can't decide which bike to take. It's bad enough with a car, also.
dc
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,526 Posts
jzeiler said:
Get it - that is a good price. Plus once you have one you will never have a final drive failure. :) I have had my spare for five years now and it has been on four different bikes but never on mine!!
So, John, can I have your phone number so that I don't have to get a spare FD of my own?

:rotf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
SO here is a serious question.

IF you have an extended warranty for the next 3 years on your LT, would having access to a replacement final drive be wise?

The reason I am posing this question is

1. Would the dealer/warranty get a me a new final drive if mine failed?
1a IF new how long to get in stock?

2. Would they repair mine?
2a. Any idea what the dealer would charge to rebuild a final drive?
2b. How long for a dealer to rebuild a final drive
2c. I would think that a rebuilt final drive from one of our members who repair final drives all the time would be better than one done by a dealer who might have only done a final drive a few times in his career.

3. I think that the warranty covers repair costs independent on who does them. So if the warranty is for a rebuild, I would assume I could get a rebuilt one from a member and have a dealer install ?

Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pauleknight said:
SO here is a serious question.

IF you have an extended warranty for the next 3 years on your LT, would having access to a replacement final drive be wise?

The reason I am posing this question is

1. Would the dealer/warranty get a me a new final drive if mine failed?
1a IF new how long to get in stock?

2. Would they repair mine?
2a. Any idea what the dealer would charge to rebuild a final drive?
2b. How long for a dealer to rebuild a final drive
2c. I would think that a rebuilt final drive from one of our members who repair final drives all the time would be better than one done by a dealer who might have only done a final drive a few times in his career.

3. I think that the warranty covers repair costs independent on who does them. So if the warranty is for a rebuild, I would assume I could get a rebuilt one from a member and have a dealer install ?

Thoughts?
I, for one, cannot answer your questions because I have no extended warranty anymore. And here is the irony, I will buy a spare FD but will not buy an extended warranty due to the cost of one on a 2005 model.
For the $170.00 paid I guess I will feel better if it does go out because I can have the spare in that same day, in theory. At that point I can have the old one looked at, hopefully by someone on bmwlt.com. It just seems to be the one thing that could let me down on the spot and I like having the spare even if it is just a "feel good" type of thing. I guess if I have to use it and find it is bad too then I will be screwed roy-al and all will have been vain. But right now I feel pretty good having the spare!
But you do bring up good questions and something for others to ponder on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,085 Posts
You did the right thing buying the spare rear drive. I have several that I have rebuilt and keep on hand for myself or others that need them.
Currently running a "CharlieVT"rebuild so I will probably never need them. Although
he did say to use this only for emergencies as the roller bearing was loose on the shaft.
I will run it until it breaks and replace it.

Dan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
WillieC said:
I have the opportunity to get a spare FD off of a 2005 LT for 170.00 with shipping. It was taken off for a trike conversion and is in good condition and no metal chips when oil was drained out. Is it worth having one for a spare at that price? I think that is about 1/2 the cost of a rebuild if my present one goes bad so I am not sure if it is good insurance or not. I suppose if I were to take a long trip it would be good for a failure away fro ma BMW dealer.

If you do not buy it, PLEASE let me! I fear I may be needing one soon. PM me with details.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,085 Posts
deputy5211 said:
If you do not buy it, PLEASE let me! I fear I may be needing one soon. PM me with details.
Pretty sure he already bought it.

Do you want me to drop off one of my spares with our son in Dallas tomorrow?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
DanMartin said:
Pretty sure he already bought it.

Do you want me to drop off one of my spares with our son in Dallas tomorrow?
Sorry I made the purchase and it is on the way FEDX

good luck, I am sure you will find one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
saddleman said:
That's what I did. No down time when you have two LT's :D .
Ya know the more I think about this the better it sounds!
I wonder if I could tow the second one behind my main one? This way if I have a problem just switch and tow the other one to a dealer for repairs !!

Perfect solution ! :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,404 Posts
DanMartin said:
You did the right thing buying the spare rear drive. I have several that I have rebuilt and keep on hand for myself or others that need them.
Currently running a "CharlieVT"rebuild so I will probably never need them. Although
he did say to use this only for emergencies as the roller bearing was loose on the shaft.
I will run it until it breaks and replace it.

Dan
Howdy Dan,

I am interested to read that you are running a FD with a "fixed" tapered roller bearing. I would have repaired that with Loctite 660. Loctite 660 "....possesses excellent gap cure characteristics. Typical applications include restoring correct fits on worn shafts, spun beraings, and
damaged keyways."

I have a few other FDs out there with the same fix.
I've often wondered how that repair will hold up.
How many miles on the repair so far?
Does the lube look okay at changes? (Dark lube due to aluminum suspension would be the first sign that the bearing has started spinning).

Best Regards,
Curtis

Loctite 660:
http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93755_Loctite_660_Quick_Metal_Retaining_Compound.pdf
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top