BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya,

I'm working on a new project : making a spare chrome handle for the rear top box. As far we have decide yet, shape and size will be very closed to the genuine one but of course, we're not able to build something that is exactly the same as the original one.

As my 2001 LT did not came with it, could someone please post pics of this part showing dimensions and hopefully its thickness. A close-up would be great too :) If someone would have this within those 24 hours, I would really appreciate it as I am supposed to meet a designer tomorrow...

Thanks !

Pierre-Alain

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
buffalo said:
As my 2001 LT did not came with it, could someone please post pics of this part showing dimensions and hopefully its thickness.
Pierre-Alain
Pierre-Alain,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the chrome handle on the top box was not available on any LT until the latest model. There was one manufactured by someone in Europe, I think, but so I've only seen one. :(

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
They can't even make the failing trunk latch as a separate part, so why would they offer a chrome doo-dad available separately? Actually, some members tried to order the chrome handle but were told it wasn't available. I heard a rumor that may change, but don't know of anyone who has been able to order one yet.

I believe GG Technic offered a large trunk trim piece, but it was really expensive. Many people have just gotten reasonable chrome drawer handles from the local hardware store for a whole lot cheaper.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, I've been told "no" on the drawer handles so far. My current favorite is a fairly hefty chrome boat cleat from West Marine. The curves are nice and the mass sort of fits with the LT. Someday, maybe I'll actually get something put on.

Jim

·
Registered
740 Posts
BMR Products offers one in stainless. It's like a drawer handle and actually might be just that. I had one put on at CCR in Brekenridge last year but wish I hadn't. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but it's sort of superfulous if you have the trunk rack. Nice fit and finish though. You can see it here about two thirds the way down the page.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts