BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my 2820 lost GPS signal and never recovered. I called Garmin this evening and the tech talked me through up dating the software and resetting it. This had no effect on the 2820 locating the signal. The tech said Garmin doesn't work on the 2820 any longer and he offered to upgrade me to a Zumo550 for $179.00. I told him I'd think about it and call them back if I wanted to to it. A quick check of ebay revealed 550s for $574 to $700+, so after another call to Garmin and the pain of giving them my credit card, I'll have a new Zumo. I have to box the 2820 up and ship it to them. They'll turn a 550 out to me after that. I don't know why they want the 2820 if it's no good to them. Maybe just to make sure I don't have it either. :confused:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
As usual Lee, you come out smelling like a rose. ;) Good for you. I think you're getting one heck of a deal. I'll checkout your new 550 at STC. :)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Joe, I think! :histerica

Garmin's website says the 550 is viewable in sunlight. I felt my 2820 was always a little dim in daylight, even at 100% on the brightness. I hope the 550 is better, but we'll see.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,115 Posts
That is encouraging news Lee. My 2720 has been acting up lately. Getting stuck in screen calibration mode. I took it apart last weekend and completely tore it down and cleaned the bare touch screen unit and hooked it all back up. Seems to work after a 5 hour burn in. If it craps out on the trip to New Mexico this weekend I'll call Garmin and see if I can get a Zumo too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hey....why is EBAY all of the sudden out of 2820s? (not really) Garmin going to get a surge of trade ups? :dance:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,
I hadn't considered taking my 2820 apart. I figured no user serviceable parts inside anyway. Good on you for being a rocket scientist, err, rocket surgeon, err missile surgeon :thumb: and having the expertise to get it apart, back together, AND have it work. Everything on my 2820 worked, except for receiving the satellite signal and indicating how to get to where I'd like to go. Without those two almost insignificant things, the 2820 would have made a pretty good paperweight! :D I didn't ask if Garmin had the same deal for other Street Pilot models. They are in the office till 6:00 Mon-Thurs and till 5:00 Fri. Central Time. Can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've used the 550 for years, the dealer threw it in when I bought my 2007 GS (was a promotion BMW had at the time). I have since traded the GS in on a GSA and the 550 still works great. It was the right price :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts