BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a trip down to Bonita Springs to see my black beauty! (a 2009 LT in my dad's garage) I really miss her!! Rode almost 1000 miles in 5 days and had a great time. I went to the seafood fest in Everglade city, then rode over to Miami for dinner in the same day. I rode all the way up to the green swamp area and around it, this is up east of Tampa. That day I did 425 miles on the back roads. Back down to Everglade city and over to Marco on a different day. I went out to Immokalee, Ava Maria and back a couple of times. Up to Ft. Meyers a couple of times. I thought of doing a trip to Key West and back in the same day but decided against it.

I'll be headed back down with the family for spring break at the end of March. Can't wait!!!

It sure would be great to be able to ride all year round!!!

I guess this is the next best thing.

David

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hey David,

Sounds like you got around pretty well in south Florida. I've never been further south then Tampa. Of course Key West is still on my bucket list.

I'm planning a trip up to Maine and then over to the Mackinac Bridge later this spring. Have you been there? How early could I make that trip and avoid freezing weather?

Greg

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi Dave, sounds like you were in my back yard! This Saturday there is the Swamp Cabbage festival in LaBelle, we enjoy the Armadilo races. http://swampcabbagefestival.org/
Enjoy your time in our GREAT state!

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning a trip up to Maine and then over to the Mackinac Bridge later this spring. Have you been there? How early could I make that trip and avoid freezing weather?

That is a tough call!! I've seen snow and freezing rain in the middle of May. But typically once May sets in the freezing conditions are minimal. Feel free to inquire with me regarding the conditions up here anytime.

I rode up to Mac city several times last year but have never made it over the bridge with the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SmokinJoe said:
Hi Dave, sounds like you were in my back yard! This Saturday there is the Swamp Cabbage festival in LaBelle, we enjoy the Armadilo races. http://swampcabbagefestival.org/
Enjoy your time in our GREAT state!

Yep, I was right in your area. Will be back down the end of March. I can't wait!! I'ts a nice ride down to Everglade City, less traffic down that way.

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gruivis said:
I'm planning a trip up to Maine and then over to the Mackinac Bridge later this spring. ...... How early could I make that trip and avoid freezing weather?
Greg
Greg, The month of May has the occasional night time frost but it burns off early when the sun comes up.

Fog is more common around the lakes on the cool days.

Memorial Day really kicks off the summer activities, boating, biking, fishing, etc..

The entire month of May offers plenty of nice days but personally I would opt for June in the U.P.

Bob

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Charlevoix said:
The entire month of May offers plenty of nice days but personally I would opt for June in the U.P.

Bob
Thanks for the tip Bob,

I've seen a forecast that says the Northeast will experience colder then normal temps this spring. So I'll have to wait until early summer before taking this ride. But I still want to get out of Dodge, NOW. So maybe New Orleans, Austin and on to the Grand Canyon might be the better plan.

Also, I'm wondering if this is the time to try camping. I like the idea of saving money but not crazy about laying around where ants and other critters can get me. :)

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts