BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of spending time to write up ride reports as well as the time to edit and compile videos, I figured that I will just do the YouTube videos and post them, as they are published on YouTube.

I had spent a little more than a month in New Zealand this past November and December. I had grown up in NZ, and so knew the country very well....that is, as it was up to 1969, when I had left to come to the US! The last part of my visit was to rent an R1200RT (2017) and toured around the south island. I had done a lot of riding down in that area, back in the '60s, but the west coast had been fairly inaccessible to motorcyclists, unless one is very adventurous like a couple of my friends in those days. So, on this trip, I had planned to cover all the roads that I had not ridden in the earlier days and to visit some of the places that I didn't have the financial means to visit, as a poor university student, back in those earlier days. I had rented the RT for 10 days, but actually rode it for 9 days, because of my opting to spend a day on other activities while in Queenstown.

This first compilation that I had just published is my ride on the first day, from just outside of Christchurch, through and over Arthur's Pass, to the west coast, and then north along the coast to my old school mate's place at Fox River:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for posting this - makes it a little easier to get through the winter up here in the northern US when there is still snow on the ground.

I gotta ask - what's the yellow arrow on your speedometer for, reminding you to drive on the wrong side of the road? :grin:

Thanks again,
Ski

Reactions: Scurvy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Or perhaps to remind you of the average speed limit...?

Great video Pad! Thanks for posting! If and when I visit NZ I am going to take this ride. BTW, was it very hot? You seem to be flipping open the helmet visor quite often even at reasonably higher speeds. Just curious...:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Awesome vid! Thanks for posting!

I sent you a PM.

All the best!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Lovely empty roads, fine weather, curvy highway, great scenery. What more can you want on a great ride. Green with envy. Note to self - one more for the bucket list - though I'm running out of time to fit them all in.

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for posting this - makes it a little easier to get through the winter up here in the northern US when there is still snow on the ground.

I gotta ask - what's the yellow arrow on your speedometer for, reminding you to drive on the wrong side of the road? :grin:

Thanks again,
Ski
Heck, there are still snow on the ground here too! I would have published the videos sooner, but I have been very busy with lots of things. Working on the second video right now, and there will be many compilations in total.

You are not the first to ask about that arrow! :) Yes, I assume that it is a reminder to stay left., where they drive in NZ. Most visitors who rent the bikes, or go on their tours are usually from countries that drives/rides on the right, and so they try to have a reminder in highly visible place.

BTW, if you ever visit NZ, do be aware that the NZ police are very strict about speed limits. Over here, being under 10 mph ABOVE the speed limit as usually safe, but over there being 10 kph over will definitely get you a ticket.

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lovely empty roads, fine weather, curvy highway, great scenery. What more can you want on a great ride. Green with envy. Note to self - one more for the bucket list - though I'm running out of time to fit them all in.
For real beautiful scenery, wait for future videos!

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice video Pad. The traffic volume looks like it would make riding more fun.

I have been to the U.K. several times but the driving on the left has prevented me from renting a vehicle, I figure in an emergency I would make the exactly the wrong decision.

Gerhard
Thanks. The traffic can be a lot heavier in the holiday season, which starts when the schools close around the first or second week of December. That was the main reason why I elected to take my rides from Nov. 22nd to Dec. 1st. I figured that I would catch the better weather of late spring and less traffic of the locals on holiday on top of the many international tourists.The route in this video is a heavily used route to get from the east coast to the west coast. I had ridden the route frequently in the '60s, but hadn't gone any further than Arthur's Pass, because back then, the roads past Arthur's Pass were all gravel roads. I used to do a lot of skiing, hiking (NZer calls that "tramping") and hunting in the general areas.

Driving/Riding on the left isn't that bad. You will recall that I had done so in Scotland just a couple of years ago. I find that where I am likely to go astray is when I was half-asleep, for whatever reasons, or when making a right turn with no traffic in front to guide me!

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Arthur's Pass looked way cool.

The one lane bridges are cool in their own way. Is there a particular reason for only building one lane?

What were you normal speeds there?

Thank you for sharing nice videos.

Look forward to more.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Great Video Pad! I'm think of upgrading/replacing my video system before the next trip to Europe in June. What are you using and what software for editing?
Paul

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm replying so I can track this thread... Thanks again PadG!

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Arthur's Pass looked way cool.

The one lane bridges are cool in their own way. Is there a particular reason for only building one lane?

What were you normal speeds there?

Thank you for sharing nice videos.

Look forward to more.
Arthur's Pass is nice, and if I had a camera facing to the back of the bike, I would have had some very scenic footage! Wait for future videos. There were many much more scenic places that I had ridden through.

New Zealand's infrastructure had been designed for low volume of traffic, which makes sense with low population. Even with all the international tourists nowadays, the traffic volume is still very low to our standard. On top of that, drivers in NZ are very considerate and will follows traffic code quite strictly, and that makes the one-lane bridges very practical. Oh, the direct answer is that it is a lot cheaper to build a single lane bridge than a two lanes one! :)

On the highways, the speed limit is 100 kph, and if there are any police around (and there could be, even out in the "wilds") you had better keep close to that speed. They have very low tolerance for going over the posted speed limits. As you approach a town or village, the speed limit will be lowered, and very prominently marked. I usually cruise at about 110 kph in the 100 kph zone, but will speed up a lot while passing (or going round some nice bends!), and then back down to the 110 again. Of course, I was always alert for potential police car, because 10 kph over would get me a ticket without a doubt. In populated areas, I rode just the way that I do here, and that is to observe the speed limit quite strictly.

It's a pleasure to share Lee! Especially since I am taking up videography as a new hobby. Not very good at it yet, but I am working on it!! :) Photography had been my hobby since I was about 12 years old, and I have literally thousands of shots from this trip, with a fair percentage as being very good. I had been spending a lot of time making fine adjustments to them in Photoshop, and printing them on large stretched canvas. That last part is also something new for me, even though I have had a large format printer for many years now.

Reactions: LAF

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great Video Pad! I'm think of upgrading/replacing my video system before the next trip to Europe in June. What are you using and what software for editing?
Paul
Hi Paul,

The videos were shot with the SENA Prism that I had bought for my Scotland trip a couple of years back. I thought that 1080p resolution was fine, but I have changed my mind. Blame it on my buying the DJI Mavic Pro drone back in December of 2016. That thing can shoot 4k video, and has all sorts of professional-like settings, and that got me hooked in to videography!

It's too bad that I hadn't thought of upgrading my helmet camera until after I arrived back from NZ. I had just bought a Sony FDR-X3000 action cam. Haven't used it yet, but it will shoot 4k video and has optical image stabilization at the maximum resolution. The new Hero 6 also has image stabilization, but it is done digitally, and so the Hero 6 cannot shoot at the full 4k resolution with stabilization, while the Sony could do so.

Editing software - I use Adobe Premier Pro. Not necessary intuitive, but very powerful, and there are lots of how-to video on YouTube to give me guides.

Reactions: PMitchell

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 02 ride had just been published. This was just a short ride, and not much scenery to look at, but just hang in there. Future compilations will be a lot more interesting!

This day took me from my buddy's place (with that darn rutted driveway) to the pancake rocks at Punakaiki, and then onto a little local hotel at Hokitika:

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just published the 3rd segment of my ride. This is just the first part of the day's long ride. This segment took me from the Pioneer Hotel in Hokitika to Fox Glacier. Still taking Rt 6 south, and will stay on Rt 6 for most of the way into the final day's destination of Queenstown. The full day's ride will encompass the total distance of about 500 km. Not very far by US standard, but this is very different type of riding! Decided to stop for a very early lunch (brunch) at Fox Glacier, because I did not expect to see much of "civilizations" until Wanaka, and that will be very close to the end of the day's journey.

I had the heaviest rain of my entire 10 days ride in this segment, but as you will see in the last 1/2 of the video, I still managed to have some fun. It was too bad that the rain and mists had hidden the scenery, but just hold that thought. When I start to head east, inland, through Haast Pass, there will be a lot of beautiful scenery.

PS: The date/time stamp in the video is finally accurate to the local time! I had forgotten to change the setting earlier.

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just published another one. This part is quite scenic, and there were some good riding roads. This is still on day 03 of the ride, and the segment took me from Fox Glacier over Haast Pass, and to a short break at Cameron Flat, on the eastern side of the southern alps.

The video quality of this compilation will be much better than the earlier ones. It had been so long since the last time that I had compiled videos, and I had forgotten how to properly export at high quality! All future ones will be as good as this one:

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One more compilation published.

The day had turned hot, even though the air temperature was comfortably cool. My riding gears were soaked inside, and so were my cloths. Aired and dried everything out in the hot sun, and then rode on:

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another ride video posted. This segment is from the town of Wanaka to Queenstown, via Cardrona and the Crown Range Road. Magnificent view from Crown Range Road, when ridden away from Cardrona as I did. Too bad that I had an SUV ahead of me as I went for the 7 hair-pin turns at the bottom. I would dearly love to have ridden them at my own pace!

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Day 05 ride video published! November 26, 2017. This compilation is the ride from a little town that is located at the head of Lake Wakatipu to the day's destination of Te Anau, near the Fiordland National Park. I had ridden to Glenorchy for breakfast that morning, by following the shore of the lake west, and then north. The video compilation starts from leaving Glenorchy to retrace my route back to, and through Queenstown, on my way to Te Anau. The ride was fairly tame, but there are lots of beautiful scenery along the route!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts