BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I need a new set on the rear . . . getting a mettallic squeal when applying the brakes, so looked at the service manual and it seems to be fairly straight forward.

Checked my usual source for parts and they do not carry the BMW model . . . . checked a few of the on-line sources (including those linked to the LT site) and the places I checked have a minumum order which the pads do not meet. I know, the easiest solution is to add a few $100 to the order for farkles I need but I'm not quite ready to explain a big box arriving just yet.

Any receommendations on a supplier or what should I expect to pay at the local BMW shop (have not checked . . . was out of town and was going to call tomorrow).

Also, any "gotcha's" I should be on the look out for in replacing the rear pads in my '00?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I use EBC pads that I buy on line from www.chapparralsports.com.
Below is a copy of my order, which includes part number and description just as an indication of price, etc... as but my bike is an 03 and has the BMW calipers and not the Brembo. The correct part numbers are in the HOW.
I also found out that it is best to use non-sintered pads for the rear to avoid the cow bell noise, and they also happen to be cheaper.
Shipping is only $6.00 and there won't be any sales tax since you are outside California (lucky you!:p )

ORDER SECURELY 24 HOURS A DAY AT WWW.CHAPARRALMOTORSPORTS.COM

SHIP TO
PRODUCT NUMBER/ (SEE UNIT
DESCRIPTION BELOW) QUANTITY PRICE STATUS

361-1304 1 1 22.99 WILL SHIP
EBC RR SINTRD BRK PAD FA304HH
361-2941 1 2 28.99 BACKORDERED
FA294HH BRAKE PADS

Merchandise Net: 80.97

Tax Amt: 6.74
Shipping Amt: 6.00

Total Amt: 93.71

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought EBC pads for the front and rear on my '99 (two different orders, two different times) from http://www.mawonline.com/. However, they also have eBay and other online stores that are cheaper than their official website.

Here is what I do. Get your pad number. Go to http://froogle.google.com/, type in you pad number, then look for the lowest price. You will probably find that MAW has an eBay store or underbid.com store with the pads a few bucks cheaper than their main store. Then just place your order and wait a few days for the parts.

My '99 uses EBC FA246HH in the front (need 2 sets), and EBC FA304HH in the rear. I paid $63.85 and $29.25 respectively delivered to my door.

I really like the EBCs. With over 10,000 miles on them, they still don't squeal and really really stop well, even with the wife and the trailer.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
In hopes of beating the rear 'squeal' once and for all, I replaced my BMW rear rotor with an EBC rotor. Then also installed their HH sintered pads.

Love it - most excellent braking, no noise.
Got it all through bikebandit.com

·
Registered
697 Posts
How much does the rotor cost?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If you need help putting them on give me a call, would be happy to help

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I just replaced my rear pads for the same reason.

When I pulled the rear pads, they had plenty of life left.

After pushing back the pistons, with an adjustable C-clamp on the old pads while still installed, I slid in the EBCs--squeaaaaaal gone!

Bob

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thanks for the assist offer Mike. I'll get the pads and maybe you can come over to Jack's when global warming comes back! We're also going to venture into new areas with some maintenance on Sandy's R1200C....brake/clutch fluid change and maybe she needs pads too. Her bike is a lot easier to work on with no tupperware AT ALL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts