BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About three months ago I suspect, while at a stop light I thought that I heard a vibration coming from the front of the bike. Upon investigation, I discovered (or thought) that my PIAA lights were vibrating against the tupperware and causing the vibration noise (like some of the tupperware was loose). While riding after the repositioning of the Piaa lights, I continued to hear the vibration. This time with more persistence in investigating the source, I discovered that the vibration occured whenever I engaged the front brake or activated the PIAA lihgts. How corny is that? Anyone have any similar experience with this front brake and PIAA light phenomenon? If so, what did you discover was the remedy for this odity?

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
tdkmark said:
About three months ago I suspect, while at a stop light I thought that I heard a vibration coming from the front of the bike. Upon investigation, I discovered (or thought) that my PIAA lights were vibrating against the tupperware and causing the vibration noise (like some of the tupperware was loose). While riding after the repositioning of the Piaa lights, I continued to hear the vibration. This time with more persistence in investigating the source, I discovered that the vibration occured whenever I engaged the front brake or activated the PIAA lihgts. How corny is that? Anyone have any similar experience with this front brake and PIAA light phenomenon? If so, what did you discover was the remedy for this odity?

Thanks,
Anthony
Mine made noise were the upper & lower Fairing come together at the very front of the bike. Just in front of the tip over wing. The Fairings over lap and rub together. I used a little self adhesive felt between the to keep them from rubbing.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yup, the front corners of lower fairing and uppers just forward of tip wings !!
Small dab of *Shoegoo/Goop or RTV silicone in between the two quiets it right down.

*Prefer the Goop type product because it removes far easier than silicone,

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Might be happening when you describe beacuse of hte additional electrical load on the alternator? Making the idle change to a frequency that cause the vibration as others desribed. I think from factory, there are some little rubber pieces in there, but they are small and can be lost easily during maintenance. Fix as described above. Worked for me too.

Randy

·
Registered
5 Posts
This sounds like the problem I am experiencing. I had the bike idling on the sidestand last night for a bit and I thought the whole thing was going to shake apart. Probably a combination of the noisy altenator and some vibrating body panels. Sounds like an easy fix though.

BTW, I have only had the bike for about three weeks and I just love it. This site have been valuable for a couple of little repair jobs and tips that I needed. And yes, I have dropped it already. It was the second day I owned it and it fell over in my garage when I was taking it off the center stand for the first time. Oh well, the big girl certainly has my respect now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
rando said:
Might be happening when you describe beacuse of hte additional electrical load on the alternator? .....
+1. That sounds to me like the alternator vibration at low RPM that scared me when I first got my bike. The LT makes all sort of vibrating noises that I am used to now but which really bothered me at the beginning. You may reduce the vibration by using rubber in between where the upper & lower fairing come together as suggested above but the LT will always produce a vibration noise at low RPM due to engine and alternator gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts