BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine stopped over on Saturday morning to show off his new Gold Wing. It was a pretty nice bike. There were a few things it didn't have that the LT has, but there were also a few things it had standard that we don't get with the LT.

One of those things is an accessory jack to plug an MP3 or IPod into that allows him to listen to it through his bikes sound system. It was accessible through a small storage area in the front left side of the fairing.

Question: how could I get an accessory jack like that hooked up without having to spend hundreds of $$$. It seems to me that something this simple should also be something cheap. I understand that simple doesn't always translate to inexpensive with BMW but with the tech advances of all these small devises, it seems to me that there should be a way to do it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve Gray
Canton, MI

·
Registered
41 Posts
Steve: Do you have the BMW comm system on the bike? If so, then you already have an input jack that you can run the I-pod thru. If not,....then you need to have some other devices that others here are better suited to address.

The only downside going thru the input jack is that the volume is not modulated by speed. Quality is very good.

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

I don't have the BMW Comm system on the bike. I thought that was too expensive. (I'm trying to be cheap).

Steve

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
Actually there are several people here that have picked up a BMW cable that plugs in the back of the BMW radio on the bike and adds the ability to plug in accessories. I am sure someone here will jump in with the info.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Or you can do what I did and spent $40(AU) to get an FM transmitter. Just plugs into the iPod so you can pick it up on any FM station that it is tuned to.
It is only small and sits in the pocket comfortably.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am interested as well in a "cheaper" solution for my ipod. I saw that minijack input option on a GW that I test drove and thought "excellente" . Of course in the LT's defense, the GW's stock 4 speaker sound quality left a lot to be desired. I have already spent the $40 for the fm transmitter but the DC area is too full of radio stations. While stationary it worked great, once underway for more than 5 miles the "blank" station would wake up as we are also near Baltimore... Anyone want a nice $40 fm transmitter for $20?
I too have wondered about a more simple solution involving my 05's radio as I only have the single CD option ( I like having the extra space in the right case). I don't need charging capability or to see the display ... just put da pod on random and ride....

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
I found the post on our archived website (bmwlt.net) to give you the information you are looking for:
For fidelity, I recommend the BMW Aux. input cable from Bavarian autosport bavauto.com . Part number 82 11 0 149 389. The cable plugs right into the back of your radio in the AUX socket. This will only work if your radio has an AUX function that is currently not used. My LT is a 2002. You plug your XM into the female side of the cable and you have fantistic sound. As an extra bonus, you can plug any audio source into this cable like your MP3 or IPOD. You won't get music info but you will get great sound and volume speed adjustment as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have an 03 LT with the BMW Comm system. Is the AUX input in the back of the radio the same one used for the BMW GPS voice input to the Comm system? Anyone know where the input from the Radar Det. is added. I've looked for an input I can use for my XM but still haven't found one yet.

What about the AUX input in the front of the radio. What's that used for? I tried using it for the XM but no luck there either.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Bill,

Apparently the AUX input connects into the sound system "downstream" from everything else and it only plays into the headset speakers, not the outside speakers so maybe that's why you couldn't hear it. Quirky, but that is the way they designed it. The radar detector connection on the other hand has been routed up to and can be found inside the left handlebar cover. Then you have to get a wiring harness from BMW (part number?) to tie into it. This is where it really gets goofy...then you have to send your radar detector to J & M for modification in order to tie it all together. It's doable but almost not worth the hassel.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
... I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago, explaining how I fitted a 3.5mm stereo jackplug into my storage compartment on the tank, using the BMW Aux connector lead (this part is not available in the UK for some reason, so I had to get it from the States). Sound quality is excellent, and the auto volume control works fine. The FM transmitter units are (IMVHO) a pile of C^%£!!(not very good at all :( )

·
Registered
664 Posts
The FM modulator is a good way to go, but if your bike has the cassette player you can buy a cassette adapter for like $10. The cassette adapter has a plug that you just plug into the headphone jack of whatever devise you own. The sound quality is better than the FM modulator, and the cassette adapter is about half the price. I looked at your profile and didn't see what year your bike was. Typically the pre 2002 bikes have the cassette player in the oddments box.

Good luck!

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
McAllister said:
I have an 03 LT with the BMW Comm system. Is the AUX input in the back of the radio the same one used for the BMW GPS voice input to the Comm system? Anyone know where the input from the Radar Det. is added. I've looked for an input I can use for my XM but still haven't found one yet.

What about the AUX input in the front of the radio. What's that used for? I tried using it for the XM but no luck there either.
The input in the front is part of the Comm System not the radio and only plays through the helmet speakers. The one on the back of the stereo is where the cable I mentioned getting in the prior post will play your sound through the bike speakers and is controled by the stereo. That is where you should plug in your XM if you get the cable I mentioned in the post above. Your radar detector has a plug in under the left handlebar cover but you will have to modifiy to accept the plug as mentioned in other post. And no the input on the back of the radio is not the one used for the GPS as far as I know, that also works with an input to the Comm System.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi Al! You too Scottdawg.

I know all about the connector in the left handlebar for the radar. What I wanted to know is where is the other end of that wire connected to the Comm system and where is the other end of the GPS was connected.

I admit I didn't have the headsets connected when I didn't hear the XM through the AUX plug. My fault but I'll check again tonight. I think all this ties in with the priority 1-2-3-4 the system uses when it drops the radio for the GPS which is dropped for the cell phone which is dropped for the radar. Lord knows where the CB fits into all this. I'm just working on sorting it out. Didn't make any difference until I worked on the XM setup. Now my curiosity is kicking in. Need to learn to control that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts