BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT LE
56 Posts
I’ll treat this like we ran into each and are talking over coffee. To each their own but I’m a Amsoil fanboy. There I said it! Prepare for others to be not so gentle. Lol

·
Premium Member
2015 R1200 RT
50 Posts
I ran Valvoline in my 2005 LT with no issues. Now that I have the 2015 RT, I'll probably stick with it but may give Rotella a try to see if my shifting improves. Someone else on this forum had a good result with the Rotella 5W40 and shifting. The bottom line is follow the maintenance schedule and any quality oil meeting BMW's specs will do the job.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve run Rotella as well and it wasn’t any different than the Castrol. The Castrol is difficult to get local. Maybe I’ll just go back to Rotella because it’s easy to obtain.

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
I ran Valvoline in my 2005 LT with no issues. Now that I have the 2015 RT, I'll probably stick with it but may give Rotella a try to see if my shifting improves. Someone else on this forum had a good result with the Rotella 5W40 and shifting. The bottom line is follow the maintenance schedule and any quality oil meeting BMW's specs will do the job.
Right on! In particular, you want to make sure that the oil meets JASO MA2 spec. That part if VERY important for your wet clutch.

I had been using the Rotella T6 oil from the very beginning of having my prior '15 RT, and only stopped using it when Shell dropped the API designation from the label. Now, I use the cheapest synthetic oil that meets the required specification. This is what I bought the last time ('21 RT uses the same oil spec as the earlier wetheads): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MISDII?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts