BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped a bunch of plastic off my new-to-me '99 LT today. What fun! In the process, I found out that my map light doesn't work because it isn't even connected. I wasn't able to find any loose wires or plugs, so I'm a little confused. Any ideas what this is all about?

BTW, what's that little bulb on the bottom of my headlight? It doesn't look like it works with the reflectors at all. Very odd.

Thanks!
Andy

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
asteude said:
I stripped a bunch of plastic off my new-to-me '99 LT today. What fun! In the process, I found out that my map light doesn't work because it isn't even connected. I wasn't able to find any loose wires or plugs, so I'm a little confused. Any ideas what this is all about?

BTW, what's that little bulb on the bottom of my headlight? It doesn't look like it works with the reflectors at all. Very odd.

Thanks!
Andy

On my '03 the little light up front is a "parking" light. Turn the key to the left past lock and it should come on with a tail light too. It should also be on when your headlight is lighted..
Not sure about your '99, but the pros will jump in here soon and straighten me out if I'm off base. :bmw:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vernvernvern said:
On my '03 the little light up front is a "parking" light. Turn the key to the left past lock and it should come on with a tail light too. It should also be on when your headlight is lighted.
Well, that makes a lot of sense. It also explains why my rear light has sometimes stayed on even when the bike is "off". :eek: Of course, the bulb in the front didn't come on. So, I just went outside and plugged and unplugged it a few times to get a contact. Now it works. Same thing was wrong with the instrument lamp on my fuel gauge. Too bad I didn't realize that's all it was until after I ordered LEDs to replace the instrument lights.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Someone likely dropped the wiring for your map light doing service. It's two right angle push on terminals if I remember correctly. If you want to go in after the wiring, there's a screw behind that light that holds the cover on. Takes a flashlight to se it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dean - I have all of the plastic off the front end. There are no loose plugs.

On the other hand, it looks like people use the map light circuit to power their GPS. Apparently it's possible to do this and still keep the map light functional. In my case, I bet the previous owner just didn't bother to figure out how to do that and just re-purposed the map light circuit completely. Annoying. I don't like buttons that don't do anything.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Make sure you turn it back to the lock position before you walk away from it. If you don't you will be pushing it home. It doesn't seem to take all that long for the battery to go down. DAMHIK

Loren

vernvernvern said:
On my '03 the little light up front is a "parking" light. Turn the key to the left past lock and it should come on with a tail light too. It should also be on when your headlight is lighted..
Not sure about your '99, but the pros will jump in here soon and straighten me out if I'm off base. :bmw:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Your map light just requires a12v source make sure to use a switched source (key off no power)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts