BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never owned a BMW before, I just took my very newly purchased 2000 lt over to the local BMW dealer to talk and get a feel for this bike and the service rep made me feel like I got ripped off no matter what I paid since the ABS wig wag was going on when I bought it and it wasnt fixed. The bike has 22K on it. I really wish I was more familiar with this bike. From what I am reading here on this forum the 00's have issues with the ABS, brake lines, speedo being off, rear end failure, weep hole needs drilling, huge maintence requirements...ect. Did I buy a pile? The bike drives and runs very nice now but do I need to worry about the engine too? I really need some confidence here. Maybe the dork at the dealer hates his job? I bought this bike knowing that the ABS lights were on. Seriously, what the heck did I get myself into? Cripes, I just want to ride... I realize that these forums are for those that are trying to figure out issues and problems so there are a lot of that here. But how problem prone are these bikes in reality?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
brake lines, speedo being off, rear end failure, weep hole needs drilling, huge maintence requirements...

these above items I consider as maint, for when it is raining and you want to stay in touch with you bike...I did my brake lines last year...everything else is when I get time....my 01 has 39k

not sure about the flashing ABS problem, someone else will say something about that...

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Jesus, you really shouldn't own mechanical devices. I think hammers and rocks may be more your speed. :D

Go ride the bike, they are fine. Yes, some have had issues, and you only hear about the bad stuff on the Internet. I had three LTs and had a few problems here and there, but it never stopped me from riding and enjoying them. Go enjoy your new motorcycle.

·
Registered
929 Posts
First, you must remember who was speaking to you. Let me to be the first to tell you that this bike is proned to flawless operation. I have a 99 with 66k on the clock and she rides great. Many will join in to confirm their overall satisfaction.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DavidTaylor said:
Jesus, you really shouldn't own mechanical devices. I think hammers and rocks may be more your speed. :D
Just the smartass comments I was hoping for. :) I feel better already! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Pushing 50K on my '00 and I've ridden it "like I stole it!" No mechanical issues at all
Have a great time!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
14wntr said:
Having never owned a BMW before, I just took my very newly purchased 2000 lt over to the local BMW dealer to talk and get a feel for this bike and the service rep made me feel like I got ripped off no matter what I paid since the ABS wig wag was going on when I bought it and it wasnt fixed. The bike has 22K on it. I really wish I was more familiar with this bike. From what I am reading here on this forum the 00's have issues with the ABS, brake lines, speedo being off, rear end failure, weep hole needs drilling, huge maintence requirements...ect. Did I buy a pile? The bike drives and runs very nice now but do I need to worry about the engine too? I really need some confidence here. Maybe the dork at the dealer hates his job? I bought this bike knowing that the ABS lights were on. Seriously, what the heck did I get myself into? Cripes, I just want to ride... I realize that these forums are for those that are trying to figure out issues and problems so there are a lot of that here. But how problem prone are these bikes in reality?
The Abs lights flashing only means that the ABS unit is not working. The lights will be annoying, but the bike does not need ABS to operate as intended. You might want to have the ABS fault checked sometime just to know what the fault is. It might be something simple to fix. If it is the control unit that is bad that means major bucks to repair. There are bikes out there with the ABS out of operation for a long time. Just tape over or remove the lights. The breaks work fine without the ABS function that very few ever use.
The bike does require service just like any other bike out there. Did the previous owner have service records? If not I would see it there is a local BMW group that has tech sessions and would be willing to help you learn the ins and outs of the LT. I put over 55 K on the 2000 LT I had and never did any more than the regular services, oil changes (engine - tranny - rear drive), brake fluid and clutch fluid changes & valve clearance checks.
The LT is probably one of the best handling bikes out there plus being very comfortable for distance riding.
Maintain as necessary and ride the hell out of it. If it breaks, fix it. Get a service manual and enjoy taking care of the bike yourself when it is necessary. You will find alot of tech info. on this site. Play with the search engine almost everything that has ever needed fixing on this bike has been discussed at one time or another.

Happy riding

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've got a 2000 lt...bought it a year ago and have done several preemptive "fixes". Clutch linkage, rebuilt fd, fix it b4 it breaks trunk latch, will do quick connects on the fuel lines soon and routine maintenance. I've had several different bikes and all have needed updates and/or preemptive fixes. This one rides best and has the best features and gets the best mpg's.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The service guy was right. Run screaming away from your LT and I'll bail you out of it for 500 bucks. I'll even come and pick it up.

Seriously, there are some issues. A failed FD will cost you about 400 if caught early. A clutch can set you back a couple of grand if the dealer does it. Brake lines are not really that big of a deal. If you turn wrenches you will find all the help you need right here for any do-it-yourself project.

The vast majority of LTs are very reliable. Online forums are prone to people discussing issues and looking for help, not the thousands of trouble-free miles most of us see.

That ABS unit will send you to the poor-house at a couple grand just for the part. Unplug the lamps and keep riding.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
64,000 miles on my '03...................
No probs.......................................
Put some electrical tape over that ABS light until/if you ever want to fix it........

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Sounds like a big Waaaaaaa on the part of the dealer. If I owned the dealership this mistake in judgement by my employee would be his/her first and final warning. If it ever happened again they would be gone. A better approach would have been 'let's see what we can do to get this fixed for you'.

Anyway, as said above the cheapest way to "fix" the wig wag issue is to remove the abs indicator lights. Because you have abs II and not the interlinked system the brakes will work just fine with no loss of braking efficiency. You only lose the abs function. This puts you on par with more than 99% of all motorcycles ever manufactured. abs is VERY nice to have but we have been riding without it for decades.

As for the other maintenance items you mentioned no big deal. The weep hole is an easy do, it just takes a little time. The clutch and final drive? They must first fail before they need to be replaced(duh!) and way more LT's are still on the road with their original parts in place than with replaced parts. It is just a pain and some big $$$ if they do go out especially if the dealer gets paid for the labor. It's only $ for the parts if you can do the work yourself or get help by sponsoring a tech session.

Engine reliability? From what has been offered on this forum well over 100K miles is not an unreasonable expectation. Seems good enough for me.

As far as paying too much? If you paid $2,000 over what the moron at the dealer thought was a "fair" price who cares. Amortize that money over the next 100,000 miles and it amounts to nothing. It could be worse. A lot worse. You COULD be $200,000 upside down in a mortgage right now.

Now. Get on the old worthless beater :rolleyes: , ride it down to your local dealer and have a conversation with the owner about what his idiot employee told you. Then go take a 500 mile ride to cool down! Bet you're smiling again before 200 miles!

Loren

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had an '00 in the fastest color Canyon Red. We bought it used in '02 and put 80K miles on it in the following 5 years. I managed to wreck it having too much fun in the mountains of West Virginia. Got the insurance claim check and headed right to the dealer to buy a new '08! We are one of the ones that had a rear drive failure but BMW covered the costs even though the bike was several years and 40K miles out of warranty.

Ride it like you stole it and don't worry. See you at CCR!

WildBill

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a '99 with 74K....did the brakes last year (installed Spiegler Brake lines and new pads), drilled the weep hole when I changed out the guts of the clutch/clutch slave cylinder/main seal, I do all the fluid changes myself, and I just changed out two wheels and my rear shock last week (Thanks Chan!! :thumb: )....just like others said, it just takes a little TLC.

My advice, take the opportunity to get to know your bike mechanically and it'll pay off in the long run as you "ride it like you stole it!" Go out and buy yourself a Clymer's manual a few metric tools, and start off slowly by following the manual and using this forum to ask questions.....that's exactly what I did and I won't look for another bike for quite a long time since I have more confidence in how to fix a few things!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Exactly what others have said ... Go ride the darn bike worrying less and smiling more !
Dealers primary interests lie in SELLING product ... be it service or new bikes.

Ride on my friend ... ride on ... ride on :yeah:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
motorhead said:
Exactly what others have said ... Go ride the darn bike worrying less and smiling more !
Dealers primary interests lie in SELLING product ... be it service or new bikes.

Ride on my friend ... ride on ... ride on :yeah:

++++++1 Go ride it will be fine. 206k on a 2002
have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeke

·
Registered
415 Posts
you may just be a bit low on brake fluid in your reservoirs, they're located on the right side by the passenger seat, take a look. As for the rest of the maintenance, its all easy just a bit time consuming...spring and fall projects.

enjoy

r

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an 2000LT. When my ABS lights were flashing I had the dealer flush the brake system which cured the problem. That was 5 years ago and I haven't had a problem since. :wave

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
On the 2000 LT's something as simple as disconnecting the Batt. can cause the wig-wag on the ABS lights. It might just need the fault cleared. If nothing else Like others have said you should still have brakes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts