BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought the forum would enjoy seeing Nate Kern enjoying a little knee dragging on BMW SE Mi K1600GTL demo bike. Nate was in town for the dealers Spring Open House and track days at Grattan race track. Looking good :bmw:

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
Well, he hasn't actually gotten his knee down, but it still looks like fun. :D

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call that extreme lean angle. Looks more like he just slid off the seat to put down his knee.

·
Old Dawg
3,283 Posts
meese said:
Well, he hasn't actually gotten his knee down, but it still looks like fun. :D
Almost like hanging out of a Mini Cooper to try and touch a knee :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
pickerbiker said:
I wouldn't exactly call that extreme lean angle. Looks more like he just slid off the seat to put down his knee.
That was my first thought too. Maybe just a little show-boatin' for the camera. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
You're supposed to slide off a bit to keep the bike somewhat upright, partly so you can lean even more if necessary and partly for grip and cornering clearance. He probably was close to the lean limit with the bike anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
scottydawg said:
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!! :histerica

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow. On my test ride, I was fortunate enough to be on the Blue Ridge Parkway and then in some VERY twisty roads heading off the mountain and I can say that the GTL is more than capable of handling this kind of riding. The position of the pegs makes it less than ideal to actually hang a knee, but if you shift on to your toes and slide your butt off the side, the bike transforms into a very credible canyon carver.

Incidentally, I would NEVER challenge Nate on riding skills. That dude can do things with BMWs in corners that most guys can only dream about. If he's hanging a knee, it needed to be hung. :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Not impressed...

So what.

I dragged an elbow, knee and shoulder on my LT two months ago.

Of course it was courtesy of a low-side thanks to left-over sand from an ice storm, but still.

:histerica

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Razmataz said:
That was my first thought too. Maybe just a little show-boatin' for the camera. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)
I know nate, the thing he always pushes when talking about riding style is keep the bike upright as possible for more tire contact

I have still yet to do a track day with him though :(

now to get him to ride up here with his 1000rr
here he is on his race bike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_GacRAUN0

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some follow up thoughts............
Our dealer did a K1600 introduction party for his K1600 pre order customers. had a nice conversation with Nate, during which we discussed is setting up his own track day school.
One day program with limited numbers and no more than 10 riders on the track at a time.
Sounded like a good program. For BMW riders Nates the man............. :dance:
go to http://www.natekern.com/ if interested in more details.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
scottydawg said:
:histerica Oh no you didn't!!! :histerica

·
Registered
112 Posts
Certainly can't blame Nate for taking it a bit easy with the dealer's one and only K1600 demo bike...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts