BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished several jobs on my LT: change oil and filter, change spark plugs, change coolant hoses and coolant, change fuel filter and hoses and cap gasket, swapped out the radio unit for one I got from Lowell (thanks Lowell - it's working great!), added PIAA driving lights I ripped off from my '99 R1100RT before selling it, did some accent painting on the fork cover, handlebar covers and pannier trim, and sent my seats off to get new foam and gel!

It's been nearly a month waiting for parts, and actually doing the work - Thanks so much to many of you that helped me along the way with your great insight! This is the by far the best motorcycle forum I have ever been on!

I posted pics of the trim I had hydrostatic dipping done to, as well as my PIAA install. I had a bracket made by a friend who does metal work. The seats look the same, but I'll let you all know how they perform after a trip through the Million Dollar Highway!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
L_Rudy said:
I finally finished several jobs on my LT: change oil and filter, change spark plugs, change coolant hoses and coolant, change fuel filter and hoses and cap gasket, swapped out the radio unit for one I got from Lowell (thanks Lowell - it's working great!), added PIAA driving lights I ripped off from my '99 R1100RT before selling it, did some accent painting on the fork cover, handlebar covers and pannier trim, and sent my seats off to get new foam and gel!

It's been nearly a month waiting for parts, and actually doing the work - Thanks so much to many of you that helped me along the way with your great insight! This is the by far the best motorcycle forum I have ever been on!

I posted pics of the trim I had hydrostatic dipping done to, as well as my PIAA install. I had a bracket made by a friend who does metal work. The seats look the same, but I'll let you all know how they perform after a trip through the Million Dollar Highway!
What is hydrostatic dipping? Never heard of that before. Looks neat though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Voyager said:
What is hydrostatic dipping? Never heard of that before. Looks neat though.
It's a crazy process: there is a large vat of water that an image on a roll is placed flat on - the image can be anything: camouflage, skulls, carbon fiber (like mine), or your own picture. There is a substance in the material that disentigrates and the image just floats. the item is then laid into the vat, through the image and the image sticks to the item. Not many people are doing this kind of work, but one is in Santa Fe, NM, where I live. Most handguns and bows use this process. You can check it out at www.advancedhydrographics.com.

·
Premium Member
7,822 Posts
L_Rudy said:
It's a crazy process: there is a large vat of water that an image on a roll is placed flat on - the image can be anything: camouflage, skulls, carbon fiber (like mine), or your own picture. There is a substance in the material that disentigrates and the image just floats. the item is then laid into the vat, through the image and the image sticks to the item. Not many people are doing this kind of work, but one is in Santa Fe, NM, where I live. Most handguns and bows use this process. You can check it out at www.advancedhydrographics.com.
Then this must be the technique that is used to create camo "skins" on shotguns. I have a turkey gun like this. Thanks for the education! In looking for a pic to insert here I found a site that refers to it as "hydrographics", or "water transfer printing".

I like how your painted pieces turned out. Very nice.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Web site states they have a 2 year warranty, I would like to see how it holds up on the LT.
Nice job though, certainly gives the bike a different look.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Unique and personalized!!!
Great graphics. Couple questions. Original color of 2003 LT picture of bike before and after if completed. Where are the PIAA lights attached with that bracket. My '09 is black. I used to think that was more of a vinyl skin/wrap. Looks good.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Looks really cool - nice job! I also have never heard of hydrostatic dipping - I'm am now alot wiser! Now if it could be made reflective as well, that would go from really cool to really awesome!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
billsmith said:
Unique and personalized!!!
Great graphics. Couple questions. Original color of 2003 LT picture of bike before and after if completed. Where are the PIAA lights attached with that bracket. My '09 is black. I used to think that was more of a vinyl skin/wrap. Looks good.
My bike's still the original anthracite metallic, I just changed the fork cover, handlebar covers and pannier trim to this carbon-fiber look. The PIAA bracket is attached to the inside wall of the upper fairing, to a bolt just under a plastic shelf - real simple. I did add a strip of velcro on top of the bracket and bottom of plastic shelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I can see clearly now.
This second picture from the other side makes it better. Plus I got a glimpse of a bike like yours in another newbie thread. I have seen those lights down close to the front axle and I looked at the bracket you made and wondered how it would fit down there. Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts