BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
Yep, Ari (and others) could have that thing up and running in no time. He has front- and rear-facing video cams, and a backup warning system (taken from a car). This is a logical extension of that.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My mate has one installed on his ZZR to keep and eye on his trailer???

The only reson to have a rear facing camera, is so you can review all the dolly birds you missed while zipping along the road.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
hschisler said:
Yep, Ari (and others) could have that thing up and running in no time. He has front- and rear-facing video cams, and a backup warning system (taken from a car). This is a logical extension of that.

Don't you Howard and Richard egg me on jumping into this...

Well, seriously speaking this would be a nice and useful farkle, no question about that! But I'm worried about weatherproofing the monitor (plus it would be somewhat difficult to find a decent place for it.)
The best would be if someone could integrate the camera system to a GPS screen, as those (bike special) units are already weatherproof and one very seldom needs navigating while reversing..:p
If understand correct there are this kind of integrated units (GPS + camera display) in some luxury cars or motorhomes already.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of having it on ALL the time and using it instead of mirrors when you were going along.
The vibration of the camera on the rear could be a major problem though

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
c00k1e said:
I was thinking more along the lines of having it on ALL the time and using it instead of mirrors when you were going along.
The vibration of the camera on the rear could be a major problem though
Yes, I understand. However, there is one small detail that might cause dangerous situations in real life:

When you have a video camera facing rearwards the picture that you have on your screen is actually same as you would be sitting on your bike bass ackwards. So, if a car is passing you from the left (when you are in normal riding position facing forwards) , it looks on your screen as it would be passing you from the right! The false impression is based on our long habit of using rearview mirrors.
I have noticed this funny (and sometimes scary) phenomen when I have had my rear videocamera on and I have been just taking a glimpse on the videorecorder screen on a motorway.

So, if one would be using the videocamera as a rearview mirror substitute, it can be risky business in traffic situations. In parking or in slow maneuveurs it would be helpful of course...

Regards

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am more currious as of how much Ari`s bike is worth if he decided to sell it?
With all his farkles it should amount to serious money :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
paalao said:
I am more currious as of how much Ari`s bike is worth if he decided to sell it?
With all his farkles it should amount to serious money :)
Heh, yes indeed! Of course for ME it is very valuable but as always, one never gets his money or effort back when selling a bike / car or whatever. Unless we are talking about real collectors items.

Besides, the "value" of an LT varies a lot depending on what corner of the globe one happens to live. Many of us followed a recent (and now locked) conversation on bike prices in the US. Well, with todays Euro /USD rates I cannot figure how so low BMW prices are possible in the US.

LT and Wing cost both about the same in US and in Finland. I mean compared to each other, of course.
In the US they both run at 21-22.000 USD. In Finland 31 - 33.000 Eur (48 - 52.000 USD).
Now, we happen to have some "extra" taxation on bikes as well as cars but the US selling price of 21.000 USD means a consumer price of less than 13.500 euros. So I wonder what will be the factory price... I bet BMW is currently selling every LT (or every other bike for that matter) on loss.

Whereas imagine the Wing pricing in Europe! The bike is imported from the cheap currency country (US) and still the consumers pay pretty much the same prices as we have always paid for them. Somebody in the middle is making good business!

Anyway, with all that said I was just trying to explain how differently our bikes are valued in different countries.
My bike is 2004 (2005 in US) model. It has 80.000 km, it has some 12.000 euros (18.700 usd) worth of farkles on it, countless amount of working hours but still I could not see somebody paying me the price of a new LT for it.
That's why it looks like it's going to be my bike for a looooong time...And it is fine with me.:)

Regards

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
Heh, yes indeed! Of course for ME it is very valuable but as always, one never gets his money or effort back when selling a bike / car or whatever. Unless we are talking about real collectors items.

That's why it looks like it's going to be my bike for a looooong time...And it is fine with me.:)

Regards
Just guessing now, Ari - butt next time you come over the pond to attend your next CCR, you might inquire if our Smithsonian Museum Institution maybe has an interest in your scoot!!!! They do have a few spaceships on display!!! :) :) ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts