BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

What was your solution to the 21 TFT and BMW App

So what did you do about the TFT and BMW App?

9K views 85 replies 30 participants last post by  SvFiat 
#1 ·
Lets see what we did

#8 ·
The TFT and dedicated iPhone works (version 50) but still takes quite a while for the wi-fi to re-connect after a stop. Garmin XT on the bars so much easier to use. (Poll needs another line for those of us who use both). As for those who put the TFT into "night mode" - well I guess your eyes must be much better than mine, I can see bugger all during the day if I do that.

#10 ·
You should now have multiple selections so if you have done both a Garmin and a phone you can check both boxes.

I guess most guys who put an XT on the bike did it last year (I almost did). If you have experience of the XT and App (particularly with a dedicated phone) would you have made the same decision or run with the App?

#13 ·
'22 RT I got in March. Chose both dedicated Android and dedicated SatNav. My personal phone wouldn't fit in the cubby and the wi-fi connection sucks the battery dry, so I gave it a dedicated phone for a while. Connection issues and poor map resolution drove me to mounting my Zumo XT. Cancelled the data plan on the bike phone, and now just use it to stream music/podcasts I have downloaded and act as a backup to the Zumo if ever needed. Connection issues seem to be somewhat better with .40 update, but still has random wonkiness requiring me to restart the phone or play with the bike audio settings to resolve. Will get the latest update when I take it in for the annual in March, but plan to keep the Zumo mounted.

#15 · (Edited)
Regarding the NAV portion of the TFT:

Most of my complaints are on the graphics and what is displayed. I live in a rural area and ride many rural roads and route on backroads as much as possible.

1. Color selection of the screen elements are mostly pastels (gray added to subdue) and this is very poor for differentating with quick glances. They make river streams blue on a gray backround which is easy to make out but make roads in the middle of no where white on a gray background. Great I can make out a stream and lakes which has no navigation opportunites but I cannot see roads. Maybe when zoomed in a road could be "black". The color selection along with lack of element contrasts is "unsafe" as you spend more time glancing to make out screen information.

2. Garmin has decades of experience in accepting map data from a wide variety of suppliers and setting up colors, contrasts, and screen fields / data for a multiture of GPS devices for aviation, marine, automotive and outdoor recreation. It appears to me BMW threw that out the opportunity to collaborate for the benefit of the users.

3. Data Display - with my current software they do not use Exit Numbers in the USA on highways when on route. They give me a long text version of a highway name - in crowed traffic in cities takes time to comprehend while driving - unsafe. Tom Tom gives them the same data as they give Garmin but for whatever reason either the BMW safety or navigation group leads decided not to employ.

4. I am planning to mount a NAV VI somewhere in the future . . .

Reactions: Fast1
#16 ·
2. Garmin has decades of experience in accepting map data from a wide variety of suppliers and setting up colors, contrasts, and screen fields / data for a multiture of GPS devices for aviation, marine, automotive and outdoor recreation. It appears to me BMW threw that out the opportunity to collaborate for the benefit of the users.
FWIW the display looks identical to the wife's Subaru nav system - which is also Tom Tom based. I expect the mapping visuals are the domain of Tom Tom and since they are a competitor to Garmin, wouldn't expect them to look the same. My previous bike had a Garmin unit and while the Tom Tom doesn't look as crisp, it has given me better directions than I got from the Garmin. From what I remember from the launch - that's what BMW product managers said drove their decision on picking Tom Tom.

#23 ·
There was a recent map update and I believe the contrast between roads and background are much better. Also the name of the next street to be taken looks like they're using a bolder text font to make it more easily read. Other then the rare occasion in which the GPS picks a dirt road, which by the way happens when using the shortest setting, the GPS always gets me to within 50 ft of my destination target. The only thing I don't like about the setup is the time it takes for the GPS to connect itself up for use. I did find that setting the destination up in the phone app first then turning on the bike seems to shorten the connection time. Maybe by 2023 they'll get this running as intended .................................

#29 ·
Version 4.3 was just released for the Connected App. I've been complaining since I picked up my RT and after the 4.3 update the side roads are now visible. No new maps were downloaded so I'm assuming the app has full control over the map theme. Try it out, I think you'll be happy.

#32 · (Edited)
This is what they say they have added/fixed etc.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Paper product

Typical Mushroom tactics (keep them in the dark and feed them shi*.)

I did notice a new Music checkbox beside volume apart from that I can't see anything else new.

Reactions: Ultra54
#36 ·
My App update showed last night. The map detail is quite different with easier to see local roads & with some colour as well that helps make them easier to see. At least it appears so after a quick look on the bike.

Will be going for a ride tomorrow so will check it out in more detail to see how it looks on a route in both full map view and pure ride view.

#38 ·
I ordered a Zumo xt today and want to explain why. And then listen to opinions. I have a 2022 RT. I very seldom use a gps for true navigation. Mostly I use it to see where I am at the moment. I like knowing the cross streets. I plan the routes in my head. Typically if I know I’m gonna make a turn then I like to keep an eye out for the street before my turn. With the TFT I can’t see the street names so I can’t always tell I’m coming up to my turn.
I keep the map on the small screen because otherwise I lose my tach. I believe I have the updated version and the street names are just too small to read. I also like to see what the road ahead is gonna do. How sharp is the curve ahead? Does the road curve on the other side of the hill? Garmin gives much better detail for this info. I also don’t like having to reconnect every time I start the bike. My system does connect but it can take a few minutes When I ride with friends, when they’re ready to go, they go! No waiting. If I was going to plan a trip and really wanted to map it out and use my navigation to get there, then the BMW system would be absolutely fine. But that’s just not how I typically use a gps. So I decided to bite the bullet and get the XT. Does my logic make any sense?

#39 ·
And then listen to opinions
You don't have to, what matters is what works for you. I, personally, am happy with the built in system using a dedicated Android phone to run it, but I am a techie and can handle it. I can also see why people need more sophisticated GPS and the fruit that goes with them (way points, POI etc.) I don't need those so for me the simple system is enough. Don't think though that the XT is perfect. I had one on my old RT and while it was good, it came with its own set of problems, especially early on. I had one of the first XTs sold in Australia. They improved it though but to keep it in context, Garmin's motorcycle GPS business is minuscule so they spend commensurate amount of development and bug fixing times on it.

When I ride with friends, when they’re ready to go, they go! No waiting.
Maybe you need new friends ;) I do ride in a group from time to time. That kinda behaviour is not on.

#43 ·
I've found about 3 advantages of the Android over the iPhone.

1) BMW Connected auto launches on the Android but not on the iPhone

2) My Samsung Galaxy S22 actually charges wirelessly in the compartment - my iPhone 13 starts then almost immediately stops charging wirelessly

3) Generally I've had less issues with the Connected App overall with the Android version - suspect that most of the development is done / internally tested on the Android platform first in BMW and that Apple is a secondary platform / port of the Android code. (Just my suspicions)

#61 ·
So after a ride the map detail is clearer with subsidiary & local side roads a lot clearer.

The update came from BMW central with no real info as to what had been changed which is very poor. You'd think they'd want to trumpet improvements.

There do not appear to me to be any other major changes especially things that I would like e.g.

1. Access to routes via the TFT. You have access to favourites so why not routes? I fully understand BMW trying to avoid distractions while riding but if that is the objective why allow access to favourites & POI's?​
2. Waypoint names announced. The app just says 'you have reached your waypoint'.​
3. As well as distance & time to destination distance & time to next waypoint as well.​
4. Tracks to be tracks & not routes that recalculate.​
5. & most important to me to be able to turn off automatic recalculation. There are times when on tour with others my experience has shown it is best to have recalc turned off.​
These 5 were available in all the Garmin based BMW Nav's so why not in the app.

So what did BMW think when they looked at replacing the Garmin based Nav's with the TFT & App. Having at least what the Garmin Nav's had should have been a starting point.

Rant over.

It should be said that I am using an iPhone & I am assuming that the items I mention are not materially different on other phones.

Happy to stand corrected if I've got anything wrong.

#63 ·
So after a ride the map detail is clearer with subsidiary & local side roads a lot clearer.

The update came from BMW central with no real info as to what had been changed which is very poor. You'd think they'd want to trumpet improvements.

There do not appear to me to be any other major changes especially things that I would like e.g.

1. Access to routes via the TFT. You have access to favourites so why not routes? I fully understand BMW trying to avoid distractions while riding but if that is the objective why allow access to favourites & POI's?​
2. Waypoint names announced. The app just says 'you have reached your waypoint'.​
3. As well as distance & time to destination distance & time to next waypoint as well.​
4. Tracks to be tracks & not routes that recalculate.​
5. & most important to me to be able to turn off automatic recalculation. There are times when on tour with others my experience has shown it is best to have recalc turned off.​
These 5 were available in all the Garmin based BMW Nav's so why not in the app.

So what did BMW think when they looked at replacing the Garmin based Nav's with the TFT & App. Having at least what the Garmin Nav's had should have been a starting point.

Rant over.

It should be said that I am using an iPhone & I am assuming that the items I mention are not materially different on other phones.

Happy to stand corrected if I've got anything wrong.
#3. You probably already know this but you can show distance & time to next waypoint or destination. The problem is that you have to go into settings on the TFT and set your preference.

I would also add the ability to have "shaping points" along with waypoints.

Reactions: Fast1
#68 ·
Silly question as a Garmin user over many years (never had a Tom Tom). Do tracks on Tom Tom sat navs show a route that does not offer turn by turn directions & does not recalculate if you go off route?

I know that other brands of Say Nav are available but the majority of car & bike users are probably Garmin or Tom Tom so its more likely that most of us have one or the other.

I have created tracks in Basecamp & My Route App and imported them to the Connected App but they all come out as a route not a track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.