BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, long story short...

Last week I was leading a group ride and stopped at the red light.

A friend on his CAN-AM pulling a trailer didn’t see the light due to the position of the sun, ran into the back of me doing 40+ MPH.

Launched me into the air and pushed my bike about 100’ through the intersection.

Was unconscious for a minute or two with a slight concussion, broke a bone in my hand and received some scrapes & bruises. Had to go to the ER.

I was riding with full gear and a full face helmet (Shoei GT-Air II).

As to my friend, he’s still in the ICU.

They had to induce him into a coma, but he’s currently doing better. A few broken ribs and other bones with a lot of scapes/cuts & bruises.

He wasn’t wearing any protective gear and his half helmet came off in the collision.

As to the vehicle’s, most likely both will be totaled.

Currently looking at a replacement RT, maybe in the 2015 - 2018 range since I can't find one like mine (2009) in the color/condition my was.

Few pics:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
427 Posts

A friend on his CAN-AM pulling a trailer didn’t see the light due to the position of the sun, ran into the back of me doing 40+ MPH.

Launched me into the air and pushed my bike about 100’ through the intersection.

Was unconscious for a minute or two with a slight concussion, broke a bone in my hand and received some scrapes & bruises. Had to go to the ER.

They had to induce him into a coma, but he’s currently doing better. A few broken ribs and other bones with a lot of scapes/cuts & bruises.

He wasn’t wearing any protective gear and his half helmet came off in the collision.

Currently looking at a replacement RT, maybe in the 2015 - 2018 range since I can't find one like mine (2009) in the color/condition my was.

Few pics:
#1, Thank God you survived, and are recovering. Ditto for your friend.

#2: Hope ya find what you're looking for to replace your bike. Good on you, to get right back up on that horse. Motorcycle crashes can be psychologically challenging to recover, the mind more than the body.

#3: I was looking at the Wethead market about a year ago, and picked up a low mileage (11,500 miles) 2018 RT, with full service documentation (i.e. it was owned, and serviced by BMW). A lot factored into the decision, which I've posted about previously.
a) 2014 had a lot of introductory problems, including either a recall and/or BMW fix-it bulletin. By now, most of those bikes should be good to go, but still ...
b) 2015, had some of the same problems as the 2014 early on. By mid-year 2015, they had swapped out the bad rocker arms and other cam related parts.
c) 2017, 2018 had a mid-model transmission upgrade, which (reportedly) markedly improved operation.
d) 2014 - 2016 are significantly older bikes than 2017-2018. (Don't overpay for an older, or higher mileage 2014-2016 because "... after all, they're still a Wethead model ...").
f) There is such a thing as a "Premium" model, which includes all four (or five, depending on implementation) extra packages, and those bikes are seldom advertised that way, or priced at a Premium. Get one if you can find one (i.e. the "right" one). To be sure of what you are getting, plug the VIN of your target bike into this application, and it'll print out a good approximation of what the sales label looked at when BMW sold the bike. Free BMW VIN Decoder : ///M Decoder
g) In addition to that equipment list, most bikes have certain model specific codes that the rest do not. In my bike's case, it was considered a "sport model", i.e. red with black accents, a cut down wind screen, etc. Another model comes with a brown seat. Just telling you this, because when you look at that equipment list, some of the codes will be easy to figure out, and some may not appear to be documented anywhere.

#4) They're all good bikes, if they were serviced properly, and haven't been thrashed. What risk you're willing to accept as to how old and the mileage, is up to you.
#5) I know some folks that swear by their camheads. I believe they are at least 70 lbs lighter, for one thing. So, if you're looking at the used market, keep those in mind, particularly if you're budget is a bit leaner.

It's end-of-season time for those in four season climates, so look nationally for your next bike, and you might save some $$$. I bought mine at a BMW dealer, partially because I was leery of all of the fraud out there. I would not have hesitated to buy private party from another state, but the price difference wasn't enough to push me to do that, i.e. the dealer offered a good bike at a competitive price, offered an incentive (a 49L top case at his cost, and was willing to ship (I'd have flown down to Long Beach, California, but they said they'd have to register it as a California vehicle, charge full CA sales tax, and then I'd have to pay Idaho sales tax and registration as well. It was simpler and less expensive to just ship it, due to government red tape.) All I'll say about "fly in, ride home" is perhaps arrange to pay to have a local BMW dealer inspect the bike, and return a report. In that way, you'll know you're dealing with a REAL motorcycle, with the REAL owner, and you'll know what you need to know about the bike before you fly. Just make sure that you're paying the dealer, i.e. the contract for service is for you, not the bike's owner. Run the transaction either by wire your bank/credit union to his, while your both standing at his institution. Difficult for someone to defraud you that way, and they can feel comfortable that you're legit as well. (Of course, you can cart around a bunch of cash, which is unsafe, plus, if I'm buying from you, I don't really want your possibly counterfeit greenbacks. I want MY credit union to give me a thumbs up, "Yep, we have the money, and it's in your account.").

·
Premium Member
753 Posts

WOW! Wishing the best for both of you. Sheesh. Glad you were wearing ATGATT! Sad to hear your friend was not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad to hear your injuries are minimal, and best wishes for your friend’s recovery and improvement. The other day I was thinking of the possible dangers to a rider’s mid-back from a backrest and/or a top case in a rear end collision. I can’t see either in the pictures, but did you have either of these? If so, was there any impact with your back?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Sorry to hear of your crash. Hope your buddy continues to improve quickly.

As to your bike - you're right, that's not going to buff right out. There are some good values for a replacement out there if you take your time and make sure you verify everything the seller tells you, to the best of your ability.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear your injuries are minimal, and best wishes for your friend’s recovery and improvement. The other day I was thinking of the possible dangers to a rider’s mid-back from a backrest and/or a top case in a rear end collision. I can’t see either in the pictures, but did you have either of these? If so, was there any impact with your back?

Thanks! He's going in for surgery today.

As to your question, I didn't have the top case on. No impact on my back - from what my friends said, I was thrown straight up into the air from the crash.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Few pics: View attachment 180196

View attachment 180194 View attachment 180195
Wow! Scary! You seem to be underplaying it but glad to hear both, you and your friend are recovering.

Wish you and your friend all the best!!🙏

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Wow. You both are lucky to be alive.
I suggest seriously only consider a 17 or 18. The worms have been worked out of the little things and you will have a great bike. Even though it was your friend, insurance companies will not pay out properly without pressure. You may have to (should) bring legal action against his insurance company to get the compensation your deserve for injuries, future troubles and a bike of your choice. They probably would buy a brand new bike for you if you hint at it properly. You could easily ask for 100K.

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wanted to thank everyone for their support and suggestions... Insurance company is paying for my gear - waiting on what they're going to offer for my bike still (and medical).

Been searching and haven't found one that matches what mine had and in the same condition.

Found three newer ones, a 2015, 2016 & 2018 - All nice, just need to travel the few hundred miles to see them at the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts