BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"You were doing 42 in a 20 MPH zone." I said "I'm sorry officer, I couldn't see the speedo, the sun was in my eyes." He said you guys have pretty quiet bikes and are wearing safety gear. If your paperwork is in order I'll let you go with a warning." I said "Thank you very much." My buddy Tom repeated that.

That makes 5 times I've been stopped for exceeding the posted speed limit on the LT, and only once have I gotten a performance citation for said excess speed. That was on my first stop back in Nov of 2000. Looks like I'm averaging about 1 per year. I have no idea why I've been so lucky, but I suspect a lot has to do with politeness and deference. Whatever the cause, I thank the gods of motorcycling that they are smiling on me.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
"I'm not going to give you a ticket but I had 73mph on my radar and the speed limit is 55".

I reply, "Sorry officer, but those were some beautiful sweeping curves, guess I just got carried away, I will slow down".

Leo says "Thank you for your honesty, I appreciate that".

This happened on my way to CCR on the Central Oregon Hwy 20 between Juntura and Harper (check Mapsource to see what I mean about nice curves) and I was probably pushing 95 as I came around a sweeping righthander in a canyon section and suddenly there he was going the opposite direction.
Slowed to 56 and set cruise. Figured he would radio ahead and they would be on the lookout for me. 10 minutes later I see his lights comming from behind, so pulled over and waited.

I believe my slowing down and early pull over showed respect for the Troopers job and he was extreemly friendly but firm and I repected that.

He advised (after jotting down my license info) the fine would be $277.00 next time and thanked me for my co-operation.

Needless to say I was a good boy till I got to the Idaho border.

99% of my LEO contact experiences have been justified and I do appreciate what they do for us, but it is really difficult to ride an LT inside the envelope the legislators of each state sets for various roads.

I will continue to Respect the law, but I know I will Fail miserably to comply with the Rules.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

·
Registered
749 Posts
I wooda given you both tickets and then gone and ate donuts the rest of the day.....hey, just kiddin'! I always gave deference to folks that were honest and respectful but cryin' women? That's a whole 'nother story!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Doug:
Think on this: If you had not slowed down, instead stepped it up a little, you would not have seen him in your mirrors.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
How's that old saying go? You can beat the motor, but not the Motorola!

So the LEO say's "What were you thinking back there?!?"

I said "I must have completely lost my mind, officer." (really, I was thinking 81 in a 55 was going to be soooooo expensive)
"I was trying so hard not to get killed by the rest of the crazy bastards back there (I-75 in Atlanta), I didn't realize we were going that fast."

"We? There was no one else around!"

"Yes sir, I realized that right about the time I saw you scrambling to get back in your car. I think they all pulled off on I-285. You've got me dead to rights, no excuses. (long pause as he looks at my licence) Is this where I ask for a break? It's been awhile and I don't know the protocol."

Ended up with a warning, and directions to where I told him I was going. I left out the part about being in the middle of a SS1000. Figured that wasn't pertinent.

Say what you want, those Cobb County boys are OK with me. :)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Being retired military helps too. :)

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Hey Dave, what if a man cries! LOL

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
How NOT to get out of a ticket...

It must've been eljeffe's glowing personality that got him the performance award going home from CCR!!! If I recall the story correctly...another forum member kept saying (ouitta the side of their mouth) "SHUT UP JEFF! SHUT UP JEFF!" Maybe being "polite" does work. 'Cuz being "Jeff" does not. :D :D :D

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Oh no, Deb was saying something more like "STFU, Jeff! STFU, Jeff!"

BTW, I stopped being polite because of the previous 2 stops prior to CCR. Polite works only when the officer doesn't act like a cock sucking piece of shit.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Wow! Settle down now Jeff... it's all in the past.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Brett, I dunno what would happen if a man started bawlin'. Never happened to me. Stopped a car one summer night with a 300 lb naked woman in it. She said is was too hot for clothes! I cut her a-loose! Couldn't deal with the sight!

Jeff, I feel you pain! I worked with and have had encounters with jerks that are an embarrassment to the badge. On behalf of them, I offer apologies.....now assume the position!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Dave, the 300 lb naked woman reminds me of a song; ....ooooooh that smell........

·
Registered
749 Posts
Brett, all I can say is it t'wernt pertty! Still can smell that smell after 20 some years!
Once I was sittin' astride of the old Electra Glide watchin' the girls go by during lunch hour in downtown Baltimore when this guy stops this ol' Lincoln and says "Hey, occifer, how do I get back on I-83?" to which I says "Tell me, my friend, how much have you had to drink today?" He pipes "Occifer, I drinks me a quart a knotty head (Seagrams gin) each and every day!" I love an honest man but he had to go! Blew the breathalyzer into the next room!
Then there was the time I ran the ol Electraglide right into the rear of a Naval Academy bus that was takin' the plebes to an Oriole game. T'wernt perrty either but that a whole 'nother story!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Crying man

I had a guy cry when I wrote him a ticket. 6' 3" he just started to cry. I stopped him again about 5 years later and thought he looked familiar and when he started to cry I knew I was right.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Speaking of the ole knotty head my brother used to be in the DUI task force in Chattanooga. He is now some type of captain or leiut (?).

I rode with him several times while he was on the DUI force and man could I tell some stories!

The one thing that amazed me was that after his shift was over his patrol car would smell like beer! Not good!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Here goes, and don't mean to take out the flamethrower, but I don't think the LEO was doing his job. In fact, if he worked for me I would have put him on suspension.

What right does the law officer have in meting out [his brand]justice based on quiet bike(s), politeness, safety gear etc. and the rest of the jabber stated! Take an extension of the logic that (and not meant to be graphic) where a child wanders into a lane (presume 20 mph zone was in a heavily populated residential zone) and the 850 lb beast maims or worse yet kills.

I suspect a bonafide summons/ticket with all of its implications will leave a better idea of why speed limits are imposed rather than the idea that politeness etc. will get me off.

·
Registered
749 Posts
John,

It was my experience that lettin' a guy or gal slide on a summons for something minor has a far better effect than draggin' them into court only to have the judge dismiss the case which they mostly do here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, even for mass murderers, for Pete's sake. If the get off the hook in court, they think they got one over on law enforcement generally. If I let 'em off with a warning, they have more respect for the law and know that they might not be so lucky the next time.

As far as suspendin' me, you must know the rules and regulations of most every PD I know of gives the officer discression when issuing summonses. I worked in a city with 250 to 300 murders a year, an estimated 50,000 drug addicts (you can look it up!) so lettin' Joe Citizen off a little speeding ticket was not on the boss's radar screen. I was in 5 gun fights so suspend me if you think you can! 'Course I been retired for 9 years so a suspension is no sweat!

Respectfully,

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
[...In fact, if he worked for me I would have put him on suspension. ]
Once again, the English language or poor use thereof is part of the culprit here Dave; I meant working for me in my business. I have no experience in managing/running/owning a police department.

I once read somewhere that the first line of jurisprudence is the police force and its discretionary application of the laws. Discretionary and and subjective cut a very wide swath . . . and not to inflame neither you nor the recipient of the warning, I stick to my guns (ha, pun intended) in that safety gear, quiet pipes, and politeness (we should always be polite) are not criteria for using that discretion. The corollary would be, dress like a punk, have loud pipes, and be rude will always get you a ticket (it probably would, certainly from me). How about all of the other people whose insurace rates went up, perhaps lost their license, etc. Maybe I am a bit bitter as to the 'dicretionary' aspect of this in that I recently got a ticket going 65 in a 55 zone that was a leftover construction site on a major highway and the signs not yet removed. As the officer says to me (I was ATGATT) "It wouldn't be fair to all of the others if I didn't ticket you." And I didn't even ask for any quarter to be given. But, I was indeed speeding; I did the crime!

The issue here is 42 in a 20 mph zone is speeding and deserves a ticket!

·
Registered
749 Posts
John,
I don't believe I have ever seen a 20 mph limit around here, lowest is 25. Maybe in some small towns.......65 in a 55 zone is a chicken crap ticket and I would be ashamed to show my face in court and tell the judge about the case. My rule ( and most good cops I know) was 15 or more over and you're in the book...sometimes 20 or more, depending on the traffic conditions. As far as those motorists that are noisy, dressed like a punk and have a bad attitude...we call it "contempt of cop' and ya get what ya deserve. I have a couple of old ticket books in the basement...I just looked through one...I was working I-83 near where it ends in Baltimore....78 in a 50, 82 in a 50, 79 in a 50 and so forth. Nothing lower than 70! I once gave a guy a ticket for 13 over the limit but it was a school bus full of kids and a driver with a bad 'tude!
I work in the federal court system now..on to bigger and crazier things!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts