BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the relative value of our bikes is only important when we want to sell - since when we are riding, they are simply priceless - did we all just take a big blow to the selling value of our LT's with the announcement of the K1600GTL? Now we all knew that sooner or later BMW would come out with a next generation replacement for the LT, so no one should be surprised by this...

I had an '03 which I sold and purchased an '09 - I knew that it wouldn't be long before I might find myself wondering...now what do I do. Try and sell the '09 now? Wait until i know more about the GTL and trade the LT on one? Keep the LT until the GTL has been out for a year or two and the "bugs" are worked out?

I'm guessing I'm not the only one here that is contemplating the same thing...

Scott

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm not one that pursues the newest and the best; I'm happy with what I have.

If the price drops due to the new K1600, the time to sell was before the announcement.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Mine probably went down 20% this week anyway, I broke the vanity mirror by overstuffing the trunk...

·
Registered
929 Posts
jrh2020 said:
Mine probably went down 20% this week anyway, I broke the vanity mirror by overstuffing the trunk...
Now, that's funny!

Personally, I have no desire to sell yet---but heck, I still have the refrigerator that we bought when we were newly married...almost 30 years ago.:p It's in the basement now--but it keeps my beverages cool!

·
Registered
681 Posts
If anybody is going to take a hit in value, it will be the people that run out an buy the new K1600GTL and then find out that it sucks, and is uncomfortable to ride, and it uses fuel like a ford V-10, and the pillion hates it, and there is not enough storage, and heavy is not a proper adjective when describing the monster....Then they want to sell it and go back to old reliable, comfortable, fuel effecient, K1200LT...I mean hey, what forum are you going to go to for help with questions, maintenance, cool repair videos, farkle suggestions? I have been watching the KLT prices on a website called craiglook.com, and from what I can tell, there is still value in our 10 and 11 year old machines...Thinkaboutit :yeah:

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
They always took a hit from new.

I bought mine new because I knew she was a keeper. I accepted the depreciation to know what I had from day one. Well as much as one can with the LT's quirks.

If in 4 or 5 years if this new GTL is a winner I may buy used.

I know I will not buy it new, if I even buy one at all. Never say never, but if these suffer any reported FD failures in the first year or two, I would never buy one.

Our old LT is worth only as much as the guy is willing to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
There's no simple answer, but a lot will depend on the pricing of the new one. If it's priced significantly higher than the current LT was, that will tend to help hold the current used LT price. If it's priced close to the current LT, that will certainly drive the LT used price lower.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
LAF said:
That's the bottom line - it's simple supply and demand. There will certainly be a drop in value next year as the GTL's actually become available, and how soon the drop occurs will depend on how soon GTL buyers start selling their old bikes to raise cash.

It's like high-end cameras - when a new model comes out, there is a substantial number of "serious" enthusiasts that trade up, even though the old model is totally functional and capable. I think the GTL is a major enough "upgrade" that a lot of LT owners (myself included) will be selling their old bikes to get one. Even if there is the same number of buyers as before (and actually it's possible the GTL will reduce that number), you will definitely have more sellers than would otherwise be selling...hence, lower prices. If I were to guess, I'd say a couple grand lower prices than otherwise.

·
Registered
220 Posts
LAF said:
They always took a hit from new.

I bought mine new because I knew she was a keeper. I accepted the depreciation to know what I had from day one. Well as much as one can with the LT's quirks.

If in 4 or 5 years if this new GTL is a winner I may buy used.

I know I will not buy it new, if I even buy one at all. Never say never, but if these suffer any reported FD failures in the first year or two, I would never buy one.

THIS.
Yes, she has some quirks. But still a wonder to me the way she rides.
The motor is known as the "Brick" for a reason.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
casualemt said:
. . . sucks . . . uncomfortable . . . uses fuel . . . pillion hates . . . not enough storage . . . heavy . . . monster . . .
Hmm, bitter much?

If you're happy with your '09 then keep on riding it, if you did actually manage to get one of the reliable ones (not all of us did). But you have absolutely no basis for anything else you posted above.

At least let's see what these look like once they do come out, and what they actually ride like, and how long until the inevitable faults do start cropping up . . . :bmw:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Pre K1600 GTL K1200 LT value? Priceless
Post K1600 GTL K1200 LT value? See above

The value of my LT is irrelevant to me as I have no intentions of selling it!

Are we as consumers never satisfied with what we have? I am just too darned cheap to consider buying one of the new GT L's. Besides, what can it do that the LT can't? 0 - 60 mph in one or 2 secs less? 165 mph instead of 115? Who cares! No way I could afford the ticket for either!

It's a good thing the economy of this country doesn't depend on me buying new cars/trucks/bikes to improve the current downturn.

I'm sure the new bike will be racy and sleek looking but what could possibly be more classic in appearance than the current model?

But 6 cylinders........ Heavy sigh!

Loren

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Scott,
You know as soon as you drive the bike off the show room floor value drops.
You have an 09. I have an 06.
I'm in no hurry to part with mine. Rides like a dream, handles like a sport bike can't beat that.
Like Loren says. Who cares.
Don't worry about the small stuff you have a great bike enjoy it an ride safe.
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Mikebeem said:
Hi Scott,
You know as soon as you drive the bike off the show room floor value drops.
You have an 09. I have an 06.
I'm in no hurry to part with mine. Rides like a dream, handles like a sport bike can't beat that.
Like Loren says. Who cares.
Don't worry about the small stuff you have a great bike enjoy it an ride safe.
Mike
I feel the same about my 02. It has been customized with everything I want by myself ( and quite a bit of help from my friends and this forum ) and I do most of the general maintenance. It has been the BEST bike I've owned and I'm looking forward to trying out the new K1600GTL as soon as they are available.

If the new K1600GTL feels better and sings to me the way the K1200LT did on my initial test ride, I'll probably make another emotional decision and buy it!

I'm really looking forward to that ride. A motorcycle has never been about the money.....

·
Registered
453 Posts
I plan to ride my '99 until I am no longer able to ride. At that point, I suspect that the best way to cash in on the bike will be to sell the mirrors, tupperware, trunks and other parts piecemeal.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yea I just don't know about a bike with six cylinders? I wonder if there will be any who maybe used to have an LT and then went to a oh say, a wing, and then decided to take a run at sumpin' different and wanted to try the GTL? We all just never know what someone else maybe thinking huh?

Flint :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
If (and that is the unknown for now) the GTL gets positive press and creates a buzz for BMW, takes sales away from Honda, and drives potential buyers into BMW Motorrad showrooms, BMW as a brand will benefit. And that does include used bikes, specially late model clean bikes.

Its actually pretty simple: If there is little interest in the brand, used prices will drop. If the brand is "hot" prices will rise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't really care because I plan on running my bike until it dies on me :).
I'm not the type of person who got to have the new iPhone year after year.
The first generation is good enough. So is my 2000 K1200LT. It's already 10 years old (I bought it used 6 years ago) and it looks and runs like a dream. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know about other peoples bikes, but mine didn't lose one dime of value since I purchased it. In fact it might have increased in value since I got it. Value is a compromise between the one selling and the one buying. Personally I don't want to sell mine so if someone were to purchase it they would pay quite heavily for it. Now don't get me wrong, IT would be worth every dime, All the bugs worked out, ride proven dependability. Cosmetically pleasing to the eyes. Proven sound final drive, and idiot proof clutch. What else could someone expect out of a BMW. Hell I think it just increased in value the last ten minutes.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think they will be two distinct markets myself, because I'm sure they will be two different bikes.

Depends on gas too, that Valkyrie I was looking at, yikes!! 32-38 MPG, not good on a 5 gal tank.

I rode my 2002 LTC into the pavement (literally :histerica, RIP!) with 135K on the odo, I never planned on getting rid of it otherwise...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts