BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for you folks in the snowbelt. I am thinking about getting a snowmobile for setting crosscountry ski tracks and pulling a sled for logging fire wood in the woodlot.

This would be a utility machine, not a high performance sled for screeming along groomed trails.

I know I want a machine with a long, wide track.

I don't want to spend big bucks, hoping to find something for under $5000, new or used.

Any suggestions as to what models might suit my needs?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Go to "hardcoresledder.com" . you should be able to find out anything you want to know about snowmobiles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm leaning toward an Arctic Cat Bearcat. Tracks are 20" wide v. 15 on a regular sled. Get the Mountain Cat version for an even longer track and you'll have all the traction you need for pulling. Just makes tight steering a little difficult at times. Handy rack on the rear too. Only trouble is you'll have to go used to find one under 5k.

Do yourself a favor & make sure you get reverse gear. To keep things a little lighter no matter what sled you get DON'T get a triple cylinder. Power is smooth as silk but the added weight ain't worth it. A 550 has plenty of power for normal speeds.

The newer sleds have 4 cycle engines, I haven't tried one yet but not convinced they can ever match the horsepower/weight ratio of a 2 cycle. Oh, and don't get a studded track if you want a smooth trail behind. Any responsible rider can do fine without studs. I haven't had them on any of my sleds in over 30 years and I do just fine.

There are other 'utility' sleds out there but the Bearcat sets the standard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts