BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any expierience with a 45 inch snow blower?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I do hope it is self propelled............two stage?...............Sounds like a bunch of fun... :cool:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea about 2400 dollars, we really are up the creek without some form of self sufficiancy.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Didn't know the LT had a snowblower option. :D

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
pickerbiker said:
Didn't know the LT had a snowblower option. :D
no snowblower but the plow option works like a champ. :histerica

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
MountianMama said:
Yea about 2400 dollars, we really are up the creek without some form of self sufficiancy.
I have not used to many new ones after leaving the mountains of Maine. In my past experience the big 2 stage walk behinds shook themselves apart on a regular basis. Today I see a lot of various size machines in the box stores, from the little ones to the big ones they all have the same size square exit shoot and impeller?? Makes no sense to me...

We never had much issue with smaller ones and making a couple more passes. I have heard very good things about 40 something inch tractor models.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I have a honda 1132 (11 horse and 32" wide) and like it. I like it better than the Ariens and Craftsman. Not saying it's better, just that I like it better.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
MountianMama said:
Anybody have any expierience with a 45 inch snow blower?
A couple of questions:
How much area do you need to clean off?
Is this area covered with gravel, concrete, black top, other?

Are you talking walk behind or tractor mounted?

On gravel you will need to adjust the shoes so that you leave some snow until a base layer is frozen in place. Then you can lower the shoes and not have a rock thrower.

If tractor mounted and front mount do you have 4WD? If not you will need to add counterweight on the rear of the tractor for traction.

I have an old Ariens 824 (8 HP 24") walk behind that also works good.

A couple of items to look at is the blower fan diameter and RPM. This determines how far the blower will throw snow. Also look at the tip clearance between the fan and the housing. 1/8-1/4" should be the max clearance. More clearance will reduce the throwing distance and consume power.

Since you are in Canada, there is a company called RAD that makes a lot of tractor snow blowers. Don't know if they make walk behinds though.

P.S. On that size blower you would probably want some form of cab or screen to help keep the snow off of you.

good luck on your decision

Roy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts