BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously ?

Well, I guess it's true. Global warming is down and the new ice age is up...
At least till the end of 2012. ;)

So we're seriously considering a snow blower as a purchase..
We don't really need a big giant one.. Just probably a smaller two stage will be sufficient..

Any opinions on a good one... For next year.. You can't buy a snow blower in Oklahoma in the first place and no one has any in the second place.. Those that have a couple are charging double and very high shipping prices...

And if I buy one, It'll never snow again. :)

So. who has a small two stage and likes it..

John

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I got tired of fighting the blade and just bought a nice Sears with power steering model #88691. It is a 2010-2011 model which I think is now out of production. Two year warranty and throws snow like a dream. 800 bucks. Made by MTD. I was like a kid with a new toy this morning. 26 by 45 driveway and a 6 by 24 walkway. Done in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I bought a 45 inch for 350 feet of driveway.
3 passes and I have 11 feet
awesome
i love it

·
Registered
912 Posts
You may be correct :) about the ice age, but cold, wet winters is among the first predictions of global warming. Polar ice melt makes the oceans cold and ...

But there are lots of other explanations.

We will see what happens down the line. Its darn cold here in Chicagoland.

Bill

·
Registered
102 Posts
Same problem here in North Texas. Just about the time you think you need snow shovels and chains for the tires, the weather changes before you can find a store that sells those.

It's 14 degrees tonight but will be in the upper 60's on Sunday. Just perfect for taking the BMW out for a ride. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Not sure how your estate is set up, John, but snowblowers can be problematic on gravel driveways. If you're not really, really careful you end up throwing gravel all over the house... the car... etc. DAMHIK.

Many of them have adjustable feet to keep the base out of the gravel.

I see them at our local Lowe's store all the time.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
hschisler said:
Not sure how your estate is set up, John, but snowblowers can be problematic on gravel driveways. If you're not really, really careful you end up throwing gravel all over the house... the car... etc. DAMHIK.

or I used to live next door to a neighbor that had a dog that used the driveway as a pit stop and then it snowed! Guess what got shot at my house! :rolleyes: The houses were on 55' lots so they were pretty close together.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Amazing, Tulsa got 6-8" of snow yesterday, just 50 miles north to east they got 25" of snow.........Bartlesville, OK -27 degrees, Tulsa -11 degrees heck it feels like Canada..........Our Loews and Home Depot stores do not stock snow blowers.........By the by the temps did break or match old records, but it has been this cold before around 1930 so this is not outside normal by much and records only go back 110 years.... :wave Kieth

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Howard !... Yes, the drive is gravel from the street to the Paved parking area...I was wondering if there might be a danger with that...If I just set it an inch or two off the bottom will it work ok to remove most of the snow ? Or am I going in the wrong direction trying to use a snowblower on a gravel drive..I don't want to wreck the thing by putting gravel thru it if it's bad for it... We have about 60' to shovel later today... It's probably good for us but it's sure not the most fun way to get your exercise..

We added a two car carport this year so the cars are in pretty good shape...
Our little one car garage is currently hosting the stained glass studio and the hot tub..:)

Oh, and I found out yesterday that if you try to use your leaf vacuum to thow snow it will work, But it generates an enormous amount of static electricity... It feels like a bunch of bees are stinging you in the hands and feet... Probably dangerous but I kind of enjoy a little jolt.. . It's fun...:D I've got one of those Ryobi motors that has all the different attachments... And the leaf blower/vac is what I was using. I could almost blow it away it was so fine and the temp was about 9 degrees yesterday..

More info on your experience with snowblowers please...
I really need to know the best way to go for 60' of packed gravel driveway...

I don't think a blade on the front of my riding mower would do much good..

Thanks

John

·
Registered
845 Posts
We bought an ATV and a snow blade, waaay more fun to drive a plow than to push a snow blower, plus the ATV has been a great summer toy with the grandkids. Plus it's a great excuse to have a 4-wheeler, and it makes it a tax write-off.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Amazing! Meanwhile in Kommyfornia we're breaking a sweat in 80 degree weekends....

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Cripers...............I need a box van and grubstake.........would be worth the run....... :histerica

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
For very intermittent use the MTD blowers will last a long time. In areas where they get used, Ariens, Simplicity, Honda, John Deere are good sellers. Toro may also be OK but they where having lots of problems after moving there plant from Wisconsin to mexico. These problems may be ironed out by now. I have an old Ariens 824 which is 8 HP 24" cut and a gravel drive. I just set the skids so there is around 1/2" clearance and have had no problems.

Since you have gravel the single stage units with the rubber auger will throw gravel. On tar and concrete they are pretty impressive for snows of 6" or less.

Roy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just following through the replies, it seems MTD makes a lot or maybe most of the snowblowers we get up here. The ATV with a blade suggestion is a good one as well. We have a gravel drive and I have used both blowers and blades in various years. Usually, if the snowfall is not too heavy, I will drive over it and pack it down so there is a hard snow/ice layer and then the rest of the operations, either scraping or blowing seems to go a lot smoother. If that is not an option, usually the skid shoes of either the blower or the plow can be set to allow you not to dig into your gravel, although it is always easier if the surface is frozen first. If you are using the ATV and get a lot of snow, you will need to start planning early where you are going to pile it or you will run out of room before the winter is over.
If room to pile snow is at a premium, a blower may be a better answer. Any modern two stage snowblower should do the job, but you probably should get at least 8 and maybe 10 horsepower, depending on how much snow you get. Once you have your snow clearing machinery, you can always consider a sideline job helping out the neighbours. Hope this helps some.
Ross

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
JPSpen said:
...I was wondering if there might be a danger with that...If I just set it an inch or two off the bottom will it work ok to remove most of the snow ? Or am I going in the wrong direction trying to use a snowblower on a gravel drive..I don't want to wreck the thing by putting gravel thru it if it's bad for it...

Thanks

John
IF your gravel is packed down, and IF it's relatively level, and IF you are careful, and IF you always remember to point the snowthrower away from things that you don't want to throw rocks at, it will work just fine. Snowthrowers definitely have some advantages over blades/plows, and if I didn't have 2 gravel driveways I'd have one.

Be sure to get a snowthrower with power to the wheels. No way you want to be pushing a snowthrower into/through any kind of snowfall. And, consider getting chains for the wheels. Makes a big difference.

Ross' comment about a snowthrower's advantage is right on target - the snowthrower eliminates the issue of where to pile all the snow; a snow blade of some kind requires some advance planning... but you get better with practice. :D

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
JPSpen said:
Thanks for the input Howard !... Yes, the drive is gravel from the street to the Paved parking area...I was wondering if there might be a danger with that...If I just set it an inch or two off the bottom will it work ok to remove most of the snow ? Or am I going in the wrong direction trying to use a snowblower on a gravel drive..I don't want to wreck the thing by putting gravel thru it if it's bad for it... We have about 60' to shovel later today... It's probably good for us but it's sure not the most fun way to get your exercise..

We added a two car carport this year so the cars are in pretty good shape...
Our little one car garage is currently hosting the stained glass studio and the hot tub..:)

Oh, and I found out yesterday that if you try to use your leaf vacuum to thow snow it will work, But it generates an enormous amount of static electricity... It feels like a bunch of bees are stinging you in the hands and feet... Probably dangerous but I kind of enjoy a little jolt.. . It's fun...:D I've got one of those Ryobi motors that has all the different attachments... And the leaf blower/vac is what I was using. I could almost blow it away it was so fine and the temp was about 9 degrees yesterday..

More info on your experience with snowblowers please...
I really need to know the best way to go for 60' of packed gravel driveway...

Thanks

John
Regarding a blade on your mower, it depends on what kind of riding mower (tractor?) you have. If it has the power and can be fitted with chains on the drive wheels, they work pretty well with a blade. This might be a pretty good solution for your gravel driveway.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
A couple of things to look at when choosing a blower.

1) Blower fan diameter. Larger diameter will usually throw the snow farther.

2) Blower fan tip clearance. Best if less than a 1/4". To much clearance severely reduces throwing capability especially in wet heavy snow.

Friend purchased an MTD model from a box store and hates it since it won't throw snow as far as she can with a shovel. I am in the process of trying to extend the fan blades since they had 3/4" clearance from the factory.

tractor and blade works fairly well if you don't get a lot of heavy wet snow. This is hard to push since in wants to ball up in front of the blade. I have an old JD112 which is a heavy tractor at around 800 lbs for 12 HP and with wheel weights and chains it was a struggle in snows of more than 5 - 6". You can't steer worth a hoot either when pushing hard.

Roy

·
Registered
135 Posts
A tracked blower can be set to carry the weight somewhat balanced on the tracks and may not tend to dig in quite as much as a wheeled blower. Sears used to have a somewhat reasonably priced model with steering triggers, but I don't think they have carried that for a few years now. I believe Ariens and Honda make tracked blowers, but I don't know if they have steering triggers, so may be more of an effort to work through any turning that is required. I think I also heard Yamaha will be back in the snow blower game, but have not seen what they may have to offer.
Probably none of the tracked blowers would be considered an economy model.
Ross

1 - 19 of 19 Posts