BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today in the northeast (Corning, NY) the snow started to fly and I figured it's time to put the LT to bed for the winter....(or at least until the mid-winter thaw). Last year, I had a nice mouse family invest in comfortable living quarters around my V-Rod's air filter...how nice:mad:! This year, in an attempt to evict them from the premises I have laid mouse bait around the garage and also put mothballs (in a bowl) in a couple of the enclosed places like under the seat and in the three compartments.

I'm trying to ensure that the little ba$tard$ don't get in he air filter or other internal parts of the bike. I've found one of the air intakes on the right handside under the tupperware and that a spraypaint can lid fits PERFECTLY over that hole, so I think I'm covered.

The question is: Where else is my perimeter vulnerable? Have i missed a super secret air intake somewhere? I don't have a shop manual yet and since it's only about 3000 miles old (bought in September) I haven't been over it enough to know the innerworkings. Maybe over the winter I'll start peeking under the skirt a little bit.

I've searched the forum for mice and such and found ALL the fun comments about getting cats....no thanks.

Any **other** ideas certainly welcome!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Mouse deterents

I had a mouse nest under the topcase back of where the charcoal cannister normally resides. The bike was new at the time and the mice chewed the wiring in there. It caused a short in the anti-theft harness (even though I don't have an alarm) resulting in an intermittent starting problem.

Mice seem to like to chew the insulation on new wires, but older wiring doesn't have the same mouse appeal. Seriously, this observation is based on much experience.

Consider an ultrasonic pest deterent device. They don't really get rid of mice in my experience, the mice just go elsewhere. But if you want to keep mice out of the LT, plug in an ultrasonic unit along with your batter tender. The mice will choose to nest somewhere else.

·
Registered
164 Posts
:histerica I hope you are not using the green mouse pellets. I tried it several times and when the pellets were gone I thought my mouse problem was to.

When I was doing some work in the garage I found a spot that the mice were using for a nest. You will never guess what was lining the nest.

You guessed it several boxes of the loose green pellets. Finally went to spring traps with peanut butter caught twelve (12) of the buggers. A spring trap is the only way to go for me

I also tried a ultrasonic chaser wanted to be humane you know. I did not work. When out into the garage and found several mice dancing to the tune in the garage. :histerica

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been using the small blocks of poison instead of the granular stuff. I can imagine as the mice were dancing to the ultrasonic tunes from their snug bed of green pellets giving you the fat finger and thanking you for making their winter bearable :rotf:

I guess what we really need is "Old Wire Spray" kinda like the New Car Smell pots that they stick in used vehicles.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming...really looking to see if there are more open ports that need to be plugged.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
RSnyder said:
:histerica I hope you are not using the green mouse pellets. I tried it several times and when the pellets were gone I thought my mouse problem was to.

When I was doing some work in the garage I found a spot that the mice were using for a nest. You will never guess what was lining the nest.

You guessed it several boxes of the loose green pellets. Finally went to spring traps with peanut butter caught twelve (12) of the buggers. A spring trap is the only way to go for me

I also tried a ultrasonic chaser wanted to be humane you know. I did not work. When out into the garage and found several mice dancing to the tune in the garage. :histerica

Professionals that study mammals and trap lots of them like the mixture of peanut butter and rolled oats (oatmeal) mixed to stay on the trap. It's worked for me for many years.

Denny

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Consider building a plywood box around your LT. You can use flexible caulking on all of the seems, and bolts with wing nuts to join all of the sides.

When you don't need it, take it apart.

Around here its pack rats. Just dealing with the tubing and wire insulation they eat is a major pain; cleaning out the nests, a major pain, is nothing compared to the damage.

I've tried trapping them, but that just opens their territory to other pack rats. They even nested atop steel wool I used to fill up spaces I thought might be inviting.

I don't poison them, cause we have critters that eat them.

Bob

·
Registered
607 Posts
Years ago we had a terrible mouse problem in the house when some major construction was going on nearby. I found a trap that consisted of a long (about 12") square plastic tube with a hinged lid on one end that would open to let the buggers in, but not let them out. A little dab of peanut butter in the far end, and set it down. Next morning, I had 10 mice jammed into that tube! You now have the option of taking them far outside and releasing them, if you so desire, or, you can drop the tube in a deep bucket of water for a few minutes, just to wash out the old peanut butter, of course. After that, I bought about 10 more traps, and got rid of the mouse problem within a week.
I really wish I could find those traps again. Best thing I ever saw, and very easy to use.
My brother had suggested a method he used. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with about 3 gallons of water and place it on the floor. Directly above the center of the bucket, tied to a length of monofilament fishing line attached to a joist above, was a large piece of cheese. A short section of board from the floor to the edge of the bucket served as a mouse ramp. The mice figured out if they went up the ramp and stretched themselves out, they could grab a bite of cheese - and then promptly fall into the bucket of water. He was emptying buckets of 20 to 30 mice every day until the problem was gone.

(edit) Couldn't find the exact same trap I used before, but Victor makes something called the "Tin Cat" that operates on the same principle of one-way doors. I just ordered 3 of them - one for the garage, one for the basement, one for the shed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Depending on how cold your storage area is, I would try using a product called a Glue Board. Just as the name implies it's a piece of cardboard with glue on it that does not setup and remains tacky. Dab of bait in the middle and the little varmits walk into it and can never get back out. Kinda like our La Brea Tar Pits we have out here in So Cal. So if the temp does'nt get to low I would surround the perimitter of the bike and do some trapping......

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Motomadman said:
Depending on how cold your storage area is, I would try using a product called a Glue Board. Just as the name implies it's a piece of cardboard with glue on it that does not setup and remains tacky. Dab of bait in the middle and the little varmits walk into it and can never get back out. Kinda like our La Brea Tar Pits we have out here in So Cal. So if the temp does'nt get to low I would surround the perimitter of the bike and do some trapping......
Tried that stuff once. Wife found it moved across the kitchen floor one morning. Had some mouse fur and some droppings on it, no mouse. Guess I'd sh*t too if I found myself stuck to the floor. Got a cat, end of mouse problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
grifscoots said:
Cats work best for me. They've even eaten a small poodle and a couple of Yorkshire Terriers. Snakes? What snakes? Murdering, large, aloof furballs. I dig 'em!
Geez Grifscoots! What sort of cats are they - Pumas?

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
BrianD said:
It's not what they are, but who they think they are. We had an old orange tabby that used to catch mice, lizards, rabbits, even an occasional wild turkey. He was once stalking something very quietly, and I looked across the field to see a deer grazing. I don't know what he would've done if he'd have caught it, but I bet it would've been a heck of a ride. :)

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
BrianD said:
Just country cats that have grown rather large. They'll stalk anything and you never know what you'll find in the house. Sandar the mag and I were laying in bed watching a movie and saw a rather huge, wild turkey running for all get out with our orange tabby right on his tail. Just as the turkey took flight, the tabby leaped, but missed. That could have been quite the ride for that boy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
meese said:
It's not what they are, but who they think they are. We had an old orange tabby that used to catch mice, lizards, rabbits, even an occasional wild turkey. He was once stalking something very quietly, and I looked across the field to see a deer grazing. I don't know what he would've done if he'd have caught it, but I bet it would've been a heck of a ride. :)
I think I may have your orange tabby! Please come get him.:rotf:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
grifscoots said:
I think I may have your orange tabby! Please come get him.:rotf:
Maybe I can just have Shealey deliver him. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts