BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went on snopes for the first time because my brother-in-law forwarded a warning about a virus and I would rather ask a stupid question than make a dumb mistake. I'm assuming that Green means okay, Red means stop don't click on it, and Yellow proceed with caution. Am I right? I'm not computer savvy.

·
Registered
700 Posts
try this link for explanation

http://www.snopes.com/info/ratings.asp

tazz56 said:
I went on snopes for the first time because my brother-in-law forwarded a warning about a virus and I would rather ask a stupid question than make a dumb mistake. I'm assuming that Green means okay, Red means stop don't click on it, and Yellow proceed with caution. Am I right? I'm not computer savvy.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Don't depend upon Snopes for anything remotely political. IMHO, they slant things left and that was amply demonstrated during the 08 and 10 elections.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
154 Posts
Any incoming mail warning you about virusses and stuff should be deleted from the inbox asap. All those forwarded emails are worthless, useless and time consuming. If you want to know if you have a virus install a virusscanner and buy a subscription to its updates. Don't open any attachments you didn't ask for. Well, these, among others, are general rules you have to abide when dealing with email.

Funny_movie.exe and Anna_Kournikova_Naked_NSFW.exe are probably not what they seem to be. *)

These forwarding mails are notoriously difficult to die. Some of these hoaxes go as fas back as 1990. (Remember that Bill Gates would pay you money for forwarding that mail as much as possible?? It lives until today). All those are good for is harvesting millions of valid emailaddresses since everybody drops their f**cking addressbook in those emails. Then people click "forward" and the ENTIRE list is copied into the email again, making it the most valuable and effective spam-harvesting tools ever.

Your bro-in-law should rant to the sender of that mail (probably someone who thinks he's doing you a favor by forwarding this crap) and explain the same as I do.

*) For funny movies rent Twilight, Anna Kournikova naked I haven't found yet. Keep us informed when you do :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
When in doubt about a possible virus or vulnerability go to the Symantec web site, or to other well known anti-virus manufacturer site, and check it out for yourself. All e-mail chains are just Social Engineering and as mentioned earlier pretty worthless.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks every one. I have Norton 360 Premier Edition. I probably don't need to worry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts