BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If done properly (preload shifter with foot, roll off, let preload take to next gear without squeezing clutch), has anyone had a transmission problem?

I tried it some today; the shift seems to be somewhat smoother than coordinating the squeeze/roll-off, lift, release, roll-on.

Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
45 Posts
wacolt said:
If done properly (preload shifter with foot, roll off, let preload take to next gear without squeezing clutch), has anyone had a transmission problem?

I tried it some today; the shift seems to be somewhat smoother than coordinating the squeeze/roll-off, lift, release, roll-on.

Thanks,
Curt
Stevie does it most of the time with just a slight pull of the clutch. Less then 1/2 inch clutch pull. It makes it easier on me as there is not a fast jerk (Bike not hubby)motion.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Yeah, ya just have to think about pulling in the clutch to get it to go. Maybe the fingers do pull a bit, but it doesn't take much. Our ol' buddy Pete VanDyke has a great write-up on shifting.

Here's Pete's write-up. See item #8 for upshifting. Haven't heard from Pete for a while. Hope all is well.

Jer

·
Registered
444 Posts
I almost never use the clutch to upshift. I use it most times to downshift, but not always.

When I do use the clutch to upshift, it is only from 1st to 2nd. I have always done this on bikes and in cars. If the timing is right, it just slides into gear fine.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all.

The reason I'm asking about this is the clutch slave; I figure fewer actuations will result in a somewhat reduced opportunity for premature wear that causes a leak.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cfell said:
Same for me, Curt.. but I am not really concerned over the slave-o... probably not too smart on my behalf....
When the reservoir lost fluid, I called the dealership and asked if I could order the o-ring. Nope, not available. So I called some hydraulic services businesses here; gotta have the dimensions, before wear and tear, and gotta have that o-ring in a DOT4 resistant material. Nope, sorry, can't help you.

But, I can also see BMW's tactic: $130 brings more in than $1.30. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts