BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'll be riding and Debra will be in her cage. She likes having it in case of rain. Or going to a late dinner out.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Brett, I don't know if the food supply chain is what has driven the prices up. With nothing really close that's good, he can about charge what he wants, up to a certain point, when people will start to venture out even in the dark.

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,062 Posts
I only had dinner at the Iron Horse in April on Saturday and I will probably continue to do so.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I am not a night rider any more. I am not confident in my reaction time now and with the abundance of deer I don't feel comfortable riding after sunset. Unless Jan drives the car we are probably going to eat at IH every night.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I think Susan and I will also eat at Iron Horse along with you, Brett and Glenda. Sending in my selections tonight.

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,062 Posts
I just looked at the dinner selections for Thursday & Friday and I will definitely not be having dinner there on either nights. Hopefully the breakfast menu is the same or I won't be staying at the Iron Horse Lodge anymore.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I would say for future LT Events (and if we have enough "cage" transportation) we can plan ahead and eat "out" besides eating at IH every night! I am up for it as it would be something different to do! I agree with Gordon and that since it's kinda late in the game it's only fair to turn in our orders. Food doesn't show up overnight! LOL
Oh, since my good buddies have bought two-seaters that sure doesn't help with the ground transportation! LOL
Looking forward to seeing all this week; ride safely my friends.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,062 Posts
Ay our club breakfast I mentioned the Iron Horse this morning & two members said they no longer will go there mainly because of the food.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have an alternative place to stay for next October. I talked with the reservations manager at Fontana Village and they can accommodate our group for 4 nights next October 19 - 22, 2022. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They have blocked out 12 rooms in the lodge for our group. The rate will be $105 per night for a room with a king bed or two queen beds. Reservations must be made at least 90 days before October 19. Cancelation 30 days or less before October 19 has a cancelation fee of $105. Cancelation 90 days to 31 days before October 19 has a $50 cancelation fee. You don't have to pay a cancelation fee if you cancel at least 90 days before October 19. I will have more details when I get the contract. I can cancel the contract if we decide not to do this. Let's talk about it while we are at Iron Horse this week.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I'll be up for whatever the group wants to do. The IHML just isn't the same. The heart and soul of it ended when the property was sold.

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
Jean and I are both up for new digs so we support what ever you all come up with. Ironhorse has some great memories and is still a great place to relax alongside the creek. Having said that we are foodies now so that carries a significant priority now that is not being met by the current cuisine. I did not see this trips menu since we are not there, has it changed again or pretty much like last time? Either way we agree it has gone down hill since Charlene's touch is now gone.

Reactions: pkpr1998 and Lee510

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I just checked out Fontana Village's website. $105 for a room is higher than the cabins at the Iron Horse, but for the past few trips, I have upgraded to a room with a private bath (cabin 4) or a room in Old Homestead. Those rates are higher and Fontana Village does look much nicer. They have cabin for rent. 1 bedroom for less than $150. The 2 bedroom was $218. No savings there over the room rate if people wanted to go in together.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I did not see this trips menu since we are not there, has it changed again or pretty much like last time?
No change to the main offerings from previous visits. I think a side salad may have been added, along with grilled chicken salad. Pricing appears to be about the same. Prime rib is now $30. May have been that for a bit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yes they have cabins but I am not sure they are available. They are pretty much booked for October due to leaf peepers. I was afraid not to lock in some rooms while they are available. After we decide if that is where we want to go, anyone wanting a cabin should call immediately to see if any are available.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
When John and Charlene sold out the heart of IH went to hell. I would be up for running by the place while we are up there this week and maybe Al can arrange a visit with the Customer Service.
ALSO, REGARDING LUNCH AT PI, me and Glenda will be sitting with Al and Jan since Gilles and Kathy had to back for the Wednesday run. See you all up at IH Wednesday!!!!! WOOT WOOT and if you eat too many beans it will make you TOOT TOOT!!!!!

Reactions: Lee510

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Brett, I don't feel that John and Charlene "sold out" in the usual meaning of that phrase. They were, especially Charlene, overworked and spread thin. It was my hope that they would hire somebody to run the place and drop in as needed to make sure things were run the way they wanted. That likely would have been a big challenge. As tough as it was to find good help a few years ago, I can bet it is much worse now. Not sure what happened, but nobody wants to work anymore. Help wanted signs everywhere in my area. People who used to want $15 an hour to work in fast food, are now offered that AND sign-on bonuses and they don't show up.

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,062 Posts
2021 Roster for SMFR at the IHML Oct. 14-17
Lee Wilson and Debra Kennedy: arrive Wed Oct. 13 depart Mon Oct. 18
Dave Selvig Thursday 14th leave Sunday 17th
Brett & Glenda: 10/13-10/17
Al and Jan Strickland 10/13 - 10/17
Howard Schisler 10/13 dinner time - 10/17 AM
Gordon Cox Arr Wed 10/13 afternoon Susan Beals Thur 10/14 dinner time
Gilles and Kathy Thursday 10-14 to Sunday 10-17
Bob Barnes Thursday

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
2021 Roster for SMFR at the IHML Oct. 14-17

Lee Wilson and Debra Kennedy: arrive Wed Oct. 13 depart Mon Oct. 18
Dave Selvig Thursday 14th leave Sunday 17th
Brett & Glenda: 10/13-10/17
Al and Jan Strickland 10/13 - 10/17
Howard Schisler 10/13 dinner time - 10/17 AM
Gordon Cox Arr Wed 10/13 afternoon Susan Beals Thur 10/14 dinner time
Gilles and Kathy Thursday 10-14 to Sunday 10-17
Bob Barnes Thursday

See you all there and anyone else who wants to stop by if you are close enough.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Off we go, see All Y'all who are arriving later today, this evening.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Another awesome SMFR is in the books. It was great to see everyone and do some catching up. Those of you who were at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge know why we say "friends who are family" when we speak of each other. We had a great time riding the area roads, sharing a meal, and relaxing for a few days. As always, the Iron Horse staff did a great job of taking care of our needs. Debra and I are still at the IHML, checking out tomorrow. The place isn't quite a ghost town. There are a few people that came in today. We spent the afternoon in Bryson, checking out the sites and the train.

If this thread has piqued the interest of anyone wondering what we do, where we go, etc., there are many threads in this section of the forum. Call the Iron Horse at 828-479-3864 and see if there are any rooms available for April 21-24, 2022. The roster for Spring Training Camp should start sometime in Feb. I'm already looking forward to it!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts