BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my '03 LT home now and the 900 miles to get it here was uneventful. Today, however, I noticed smoke coming from the exhaust before leaving for work. Then when I returned from work I noticed two things.

First, the feel and sound of shifting became increasingly "metal" sounding and less smooth. Second, I noticed that as I idled at stop lights the temperature encroached upon the red line area but never reached it before I started moving again and airflow set in.

I just finished changing the oil and filter, checked the coolant level, and started it up. More smoke, only this time I noticed it was leaving black specks (looks/feels like oil) on my garage floor.

I'm guessing this isn't good.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
fans wont come on until it is very close to red, exhaust water/soot spatter is normal, depends on ambient temps, smoke on startup after left on side stand is normal, gears well you need to be more exact in your description, try preloading the shifter it will help the changing of gears at low rpm, or wind her up higher in the rev range,

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: smoke - thanks. I'll monitor.
Re: shifting - it seemed more metal on metal than I had experienced in the first few days, but this was my first ride through commuting traffic. "Crunching" sound, maybe? Just not as fluid between gears.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Welcome to the club;
To almost eliminate the smoke issue, wait a few seconds from the time you shut her down, before you put her on the side stand. if you don't some oil that is in the horizontal cylinders will seep through the rings to the head and burn off the next time you start. the smoke is a non issue.
As for the Black sprinkles put a sprinkle collector under the exhaust ..

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Smoke is normal if left on side stand.
As for the shifting sound, remove the left side foot peg plate (3 allen & 2 torx) & check that the linkage is not loose. Also make sure it is well lubed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Park on the centre stand the next couple of times you stop. You'll find that there is no smoke on startup and that will prove to you its just a side stand thing.

Simon

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
wArt said:
I just finished changing the oil and filter
Did you also change the gear oil in the transmission and final drive? If so, what lube did you use?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have an LT Trike. So it never leans over but I get black smoke out of her everytime I start. I'm not sure leaning the bike over during storage has anything to do with the smoking issue.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zippy_gg said:
Did you also change the gear oil in the transmission and final drive? If so, what lube did you use?
Have not does this yet. I saw a post the other day about the type of oil to use and made a note (which I don't have handy right now.) I'm a bit bliind right now on how to do this until I get the service manual.

Will check the shift linkage. I run into that periodically on my Magna.

Glad to hear the smoking deal is a no cause for concern. Maybe I can install that sprinkle collector and bottle and sell my daily catch on eBay.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I believe all LT's do this my 09 does it when coming off the center stand I believe it's a result of the Air/fuel mixture being extremely rich at the start

GoldenDragon said:
I have an LT Trike. So it never leans over but I get black smoke out of her everytime I start. I'm not sure leaning the bike over during storage has anything to do with the smoking issue.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Smoke on start up? Its a feature!

Oil smoke after parking on sidestand? Its a feature!

As mentioned above just shut the bike down and remove you goves and your helmet and then lean it on the sidestand and the iil burning smoke will be a thing if the past. It sure is disconcerting unti you realize the cause.

Loren

1 - 12 of 12 Posts