BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone else have dark smoke blow out your exhaust when you accelerate hard? I was just informed that my 05 LT (33500 miles) does that as I had to merge onto the highway with a friend behind me. Is this common?

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
BeemerFever said:
Hey, does anyone else have dark smoke blow out your exhaust when you accelerate hard? I was just informed that my 05 LT (33500 miles) does that as I had to merge onto the highway with a friend behind me. Is this common?
Totaly normal. The bike richens up the fuel mixture when you accelerate hard...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I have had the bike for a grand total of 7 weeks and still learnin'. It is everything everyone says and more. Thanks for the info. Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Yup.

Like Ted sez, normal for the LT to pour out some black smoke when you really open the throttle.

Fuel injection goes full rich to cool the valves and pistons, prevent detonation.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Yup.. also, it is slightly possible your Charcoal Cannister has fuel in it .. might be sucked in if the purge valve is leaking.. since my CC failed and I fixed it, the bike doesn't puke the "black smoke" as much as it did before...

·
Registered
712 Posts
BeemerFever said:
Mine did this at idle and under hard acceleration. After chaning the O2 sensor, it doesn't do it at idle anymore, and I haven't noticed any black smoke under hard acceleration either, but haven't looked deeply into it either as my head is facing forward. I'll ask the wife to check it out next time we're on the road.

FWIW, even though many told me there was no need to do so, I changed the O2 sensor at 18K anyway. Mostly because my mialge wasn't as good as I thought it could be compared to some other LTs. After the change the milage went up about 5 mpg (41+ now at 75+ mph). More if I keep it at 65 (read 70 on the speedometer). My RT improved even more. It was at 30 and jumped to 41 after the O2 sensor replacement at 62K miles. O2 sensors are supposed to go as long as 100,000 miles, but there are many types of contaminents that can kill it. Some just get lazy with age.

I don't know what you are getting for gas milage, but if it is not as good as when you bought the LT, you may want to consider a tune up, filte changes, and O2 sensor change. Mine jsut had an 18K service, so I just changed the O2 sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts