BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 with 37k stays on center stand ALWAYS, even when riding and I stop for fuel; I guess I like to prove to myself, at 55, that I can still do it, lol ! Anyway, recently I have noticed that starting cold in the garage on the center stand, she puffs out some light, gray smoke for a little bit (30-45 sec) then clears up. While hot, on a ride, there is no smoke. So, the current oil is 20w-50 synthetic with 2600 miles on it since January. The site glass shows 3/4 full before cranking and full, while running. I will go back to dino next change. Oh, and valves were checked at 24k by the dealer. I know that the side stand causes this, too. Any ideas ? Tks

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
My '99 with 37k stays on center stand ALWAYS, even when riding and I stop for fuel; I guess I like to prove to myself, at 55, that I can still do it, lol ! Anyway, recently I have noticed that starting cold in the garage on the center stand, she puffs out some light, gray smoke for a little bit (30-45 sec) then clears up. While hot, on a ride, there is no smoke. So, the current oil is 20w-50 synthetic with 2600 miles on it since January. The site glass shows 3/4 full before cranking and full, while running. I will go back to dino next change. Oh, and valves were checked at 24k by the dealer. I know that the side stand causes this, too. Any ideas ? Tks
I get the same thing on my 01 if it has sat for a few days. 56k on it so not worrying about it. I just suspect that the oil system is pretty good on the cylinders and after sitting, it does collect at the bottom of the cylinders and seep into the combustion chamber as it pools. It just happens faster on the side stand. It also could be aging valve seals allowing some seepage. They are getting older. I am running synthetic and am not going to change back to dino for a little smoke. Not starting another oil thread either ;) As long as it is running well, I wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: ValkyrieRider

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mine smokes on the centerstand after a few days or weeks if I haven't ridden it. It puffs for a bit. Less than a minute.,then clears up. And the whole time I ride it. Never smokes. Even on road trips. I never use the centerstand. When I shut it down I just tilt slightly to the right for 20 sec and park on sidestand. Next morning. I start her up. And it's fine, no smoke. It's only when it sits that it's a issue. The Flying Brick motor. Gotta love the characteristics .. LOL. Odd design, long lasting. And they run great.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's possible it could be water vapor not oil smoke you're seeing. Often moisture will collect in the cylinders and exhaust system when it's shut down or sits. Once you start it up it burns it off and can appear as a off-white to light grey smoke as it will pick up particulates.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
It's possible it could be water vapor not oil smoke you're seeing. Often moisture will collect in the cylinders and exhaust system when it's shut down or sits. Once you start it up it burns it off and can appear as a off-white to light grey smoke as it will pick up particulates.
Nope, it is smoke and a known phenomenon with the brick. It is possible there is a water vapor component at times but you can smell it. It is oil.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nope, it is smoke and a known phenomenon with the brick. It is possible there is a water vapor component at times but you can smell it. It is oil.
I know they tend to burn a little oil (some more than others) as you mentioned. Just going off the information he provided it sounded like water burning off could be a possibility. Of course being there and seeing/smelling it would be beneficial.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I know they tend to burn a little oil (some more than others) as you mentioned. Just going off the information he provided it sounded like water burning off could be a possibility. Of course being there and seeing/smelling it would be beneficial.
It is usually pretty easy to tell the difference. The water vapor usually dissipates pretty quickly and the oil forms a cloud that tends to float around for a bit before it dissipates. None the less, it could be both and I am not there to view or take a whiff either.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,340 Posts
The oil sight glass should be empty with the engine warm and running. Next time you finish a ride keep her running and put it on the center stand, the glass should be empty (this is a good way to check the condition of the sight glass). Then shut her off and watch it fill back up with oil.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys - I do smell the significant odor of oil; I have even walked thru it to see how quick it dissipates. Maybe some water vapor in there, too. As James 216 says, it usually happens after sitting a few days or a week. Yea, you gotta love this brick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts