BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the smoke out the exhaust when the bike is parked on the side stand what is the cat converter doing?

I had a car that apparently sent fuel in the cat and ruined it, so what will the oil do to it?

I don't think my bike is alone it is amazing to me that the bike will smoke when parked for a relatively short time.

My Suzuki GS1100 did that when oil went in through a breather tube into the airbox. It seemed to do it if it was parked for a decent length of time.

Does the LT smoke on the new bikes or is this a condition that happens over time? Is it a sign my valve adjustments are off or leaking valve seals?

Anyway its not that I am worried about global warning or the cat but it strikes me as funny that it does it and appears to be normal.

Ian

·
Registered
57 Posts
The in the crankcase oil get's by the rings , the head is on the kickstand side . What I do is lean bike to the right a short time then back over to side stand . I hope I made it clear to you if not someone will tell it better . Dan

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
No that's a German Lubrication Technological Advance...

Its just a cylinder pre-oiling system. Nothing to fear....:snork

Tom

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ole Smoky

One of little chuckles I get comes from the smoke, my group of friends are mostly Harley riders and they are all aware of why the smoke happens although I believe most think (to themselves) that there is something wrong with the bike. Most of the time when we ride I am toward the front of the pack and when we stop I put it on the center stand, like a good boy but, once in a while, when the mood is right, I let it set on the sidestand.
Well of course you know when a group of Harley's pull away from a stop there is usually a burst of noise as the group gets out and accelerates away to form up. Now on a day when everyone is really gunning it up is just a great time to be near the front and of course to have set for a while on the sidestand cause we all know their will be a cloud of smoke and of course the cat is emitting enough odor to disrupt the entire scene. You should hear them whine at the next stop, I guess some day I will have a problem with the cat because of all of this but the entertainment is worth it. :histerica

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Rabbit said:
The in the crankcase oil get's by the rings ,. I hope I made it clear to you if not someone will tell it better . Dan
Not Exactly,

The oil drains into the combustion chamber due to a open exhaust valve when the motor is off and the bike is on the side stand.If the oil leaked past the rings you would have a major cloud of smoke with motor breaking when you apply throttle.

I dont think this will damage the cat since the oil is burning .

·
Registered
256 Posts
murray said:
..The oil drains into the combustion chamber due to a open exhaust valve when the motor is off and the bike is on the side stand.......
But, but, sir, how would oil leak upwards into the combustion chamber?

...If the oil leaked past the rings you would have a major cloud of smoke with motor braking when you apply throttle...
The way I heard it explained years ago, a wee bit of oil will leak past the rings if the ring gap is at the bottom of the cylinder... when the piston stops. If the gap is anywhere else, little or no oil won't get past.

I don't think this will damage the cat since the oil is burning.
The cat is not yet heated up, and the oil is only there for a moment. Raw fuel, such as a 'missing' cylinder with no spark, will dump enough fuel into the Cat to cause damage.

Smoke on startup is 'normal' for the Brick engines, and has been a source of puzzlement, amusement, and mockery since the days of the K75.

Don't worry, just ride it.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
You know, parking it on the center stand makes this go away.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
OR, keeping the bike upright for a 30 seconds or more before putting in on the side stand will usually cure the problem too--if in fact it is a problem. Honestly, my bike doesn't smoke when I park it on the center stand. It use to, but sort of quit when I started using synthetic oil. I don't really think the change of oil had much to do with it, just a coincedence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts