BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Okay, my '99 smokes profusely after start-up and is blowing black soot out the tailpipe. I just changed oil & filter (Bosch and Castrol) and she sits on center stand always. I know the side stand will produce some smoke, but this is much, much more. I thought it might be the cold temps, but yesterday it was 65 F. in the garage; she runs fine and does not smoke after warming up. The oil change was done properly and filled with EXACTLY same amount that I drained. It has 33k miles, and all previous service done at BMW dealer. So, is it valves or what ? Tks in advance

·
Registered
999 Posts
Black soot is rich mixture - sounds like O2 sensor but they fail gradually - is it possible your mileage has been getting worse and not noticed
Oil smoke normally blue
How is your oil level in the glass?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary, the smoke is a grayish-blue; the oil is at top of the circle - not sure why it started smoking after the oil change, but it runs fine. Don't notice any diff in throttle or mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Do not panic, this very normal for this bike. If you shut it down on the side stand or shut it down and put it on the side stand without waiting for 30 or so seconds with it straight up you WILL get smoke.

As for the soot on the tail pipe, BMW runs it that way, the only time I don't have soot there is for the two minutes after I clean it off before riding.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do not panic, this very normal for this bike. If you shut it down on the side stand or shut it down and put it on the side stand without waiting for 30 or so seconds with it straight up you WILL get smoke.

As for the soot on the tail pipe, BMW runs it that way, the only time I don't have soot there is for the two minutes after I clean it off before riding.
Thanks John, yea, last year I set her on side stand a few times until I found out that info; but since last summer have always parked it on center stand before turning off. I never noticed the soot before (actually it blew a nice black spot on garage floor ) So, I'll just ride her like normal unless I get some other symptoms.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,914 Posts
The O2 system is open loop initially and runs full rich. Thus the black soot and if enough moisture is collected in the exhaust it will blow out that soot with water droplets and make a nice smudge on the floor. Perfectly normal for this bike. You can remove it with Windex and a tooth brush but it will always come right back on the next cold start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts