BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now after riding, when I stopped the bike, I would smell something like burning rubber....I could never figure out what it was, maybe seat heater melting the foam? Maybe some grommet or something fell down on top of the cat converter? Something shorting out? I was cleaning my bike at work yesterday, and discovered that the rear tire has been rubbing on the swing arm!! Yikes! The tire is a dunlop 205. When the bike is parked on the center stand, I don't detect any rubbing when manually spining the tire, but there is definately a flat spot on the edge of the tread that is "polished" from rubbing. I also took the wheel off, and can see where it is rubbing on the swing arm. I checked out the wheel removal procedure on the forum, and the rear wheel shim is in place. Any Ideas why this might be happening? I checked for play in the FD, none, bolts all tight on the wheel. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,171 Posts
It is a known issue with the Dunlop tire, as experienced and described by Dave Shealey.
The cure is to shim to add extra clearance.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
zippy_gg said:
It is a known issue with the Dunlop tire, as experienced and described by Dave Shealey.
The cure is to shim to add extra clearance.
Yup, as Gilles sez - known issue going back several years. If you do a search on *Dunlop 205*, and read the early dated threads on page 4, there is a fix listed, and it is to add an additional shim plate to the rear hub. Also, tho I haven't looked, I think it might be addressed in the tire section of the HoW or the Accessories page. If your tire has good tread left, and the swing arm wear on it is minimal, then I would do the additional shim. And then change tire brands at the next opportunity.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All righty then...I guess I should have done a little more research...Thanks you guys, found the threads, and I will be running down to Ride West tomorrow morning for the extra shim....I love my LT and this site!!! :wave

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Or instead of the additional shim, buy a new (non D205) tire.

The D205 "grows" laterally with speed/heat, and thus rubs the swingarm. I never had an 880 do that.

My advice is to fix the cause of the problem, not the symptom.

You may find that with the extra shim, because the wheel is offset a bit more to the left the bike may pull a bit to one side, requiring a constant tiny amount of countersteer to be be applied to one grip. Annoying to me to not have a neutral-steering bike; YMMV.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ran into the same issue last year. Metzler's could not be obtained anywhere, so a Dunlop was installed when a tire was needed. It was polishing the rhs chicken strip, more noticable as pace increased. At the recommendation of the dealer, an additional 1mm shim was added. Since that time, no rubbing or interference has been noted. No handling issues have been noted either, but next time the tire will be anything but Dunlop.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mark, I hadn't thought about alignment issues, I just put a new metz on the front, and planned on putting a metz on the back in a couple of months, (spending all my money buying a new house right now). The shim is only $8 at local BMW dealer, so it sounds like it will at least be a cheap fix until I get the new back tire put on.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong... PLEASE!

Dunlop does not make a tire for the LT anymore... I don't think they have for the last couple of years... if that's the case, the Dunlops on the bike now could be 4 or 5 years old... in which case, replace them bad boys RIGHT NOW!

just sayin'...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UncleMark said:
Correct me if I am wrong... PLEASE!

Dunlop does not make a tire for the LT anymore... I don't think they have for the last couple of years... if that's the case, the Dunlops on the bike now could be 4 or 5 years old... in which case, replace them bad boys RIGHT NOW!

just sayin'...
Dunlop still makes a tire that is the size and rating for the rear on an LT, but I think now I definately won't be putting another one on, or recommending it to anyone else. You are probably right on about the age of the tire, the PO left it setting in his garage for 3 years before I bought it last year.. Will be going Metz in the very near future

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
"Smells like rubber burning"
Because it is.
Dunlop issues aside, any tire may develop a fault, side wall bulge etc has been written up here in the past. So little clearance even with the shim, pays to check on each and every walk around. Had it happen myself. "3 years old" get rid of them, even with suitable storage.
I always ask to see new tires prior to installing, and given a choice, select the most recent manufactured.
All shops have never had issues with me doing this, in fact, most seem interested that I even care.
The LT's a heavy girl. Give the tires the best chance to take you safely to your destination.

·
Registered
260 Posts
casualemt said:
All righty then...I guess I should have done a little more research...Thanks you guys, found the threads, and I will be running down to Ride West tomorrow morning for the extra shim....I love my LT and this site!!! :wave
Dude, I've had 6 Metzler 880's rear and 4 front mounted at Ride West and never a moment's grief.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I went with the Avon Storm 2's on my last change and the ride is a little different from the Metzlers but the price was a whole lot better. I think the avon is a little noisier on rough pavement, but that is about it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
casualemt said:
Dunlop still makes a tire that is the size and rating for the rear on an LT, but I think now I definately won't be putting another one on, or recommending it to anyone else. You are probably right on about the age of the tire, the PO left it setting in his garage for 3 years before I bought it last year.. Will be going Metz in the very near future
Did some research... Dunlop no longer makes a tire for the LT... The D205 that is prolly on that bike now has been out of manufacture for four years. I can't find a 160/70 79 anywhere on the site.

IMHO, the Metz is a good tire... Were I to go blazing off over the roads of Nevada or Arizona where straight is a state of mind and I needed the mileage, Metz are my choice. I lean towards the Bridgy's for an all around tire for both miles and curves but I sacrifice some stability on grooved pavement and the Avon is the cat's meow for curve's and riding in the wet but they don't get long and straight mileage worth a dam.

That being said, what amazes me is that your Dunlop tire was still usable after sitting idle for so long... that's just outstanding...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Based on Uncle Mark's post #8, I went and checked the tire for a date code and it appears that it may be a three digit date code. I think that this means the tire was built prior to 2000.
This tire was purchased new from a local dealer, but it was not sitting in his stock and had to be ordered from a distributor. Not sure which one. I'll have to have a talk with the dealer. So far this tire has survived a fall trip from Ontario to Utah and back. There doesn't appear to be any visible flaws in the tread area or the sidewall area. I think I'll have to start looking for Metzlers again.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I went thru Metzlers, Bridgestones and finally Avons..

I liked the Avon the best....

Better wear and just as sticky as the Bridgestone...

The Metzlers will give you the longest wear if you keep up on the tire pressure...
If I wasn't an aggresive rider I'd probably go with the Metzlers..

But I've slipped them out on tar snakes and center lines too often to really like them anymore.

It's not like they're going to wreck you.. You just have a little pucker moment while they regain traction every now and then...

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts